Dell Latitude left shift/ctrl problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2004 9:51:47 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude CPx which has an annoying problem with the left ctrl
and shift keys. Before they do what they're supposed to do, I have to press
them twice. Or when I keep them pressed, they will work on the second
character. This laptop has BIOS version A05; I have another laptop of the
same model, which doesn't behave that weird, but has bios version A03. Is
there a solution to this? It's not a keyboard going bad or a bad contact as
the behaviour is consistent.

Thanks,
Jeroen

a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 7:04:16 PM

"Jeroen" <sink@null.dev> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude CPx which has an annoying problem with the left
ctrl
> and shift keys. Before they do what they're supposed to do, I have to
press
> them twice. Or when I keep them pressed, they will work on the second
> character. This laptop has BIOS version A05; I have another laptop of the
> same model, which doesn't behave that weird, but has bios version A03. Is
> there a solution to this? It's not a keyboard going bad or a bad contact
as
> the behaviour is consistent.

Check that you don't have "Sticky Keys" set up. This is one of the
Microsoft Accessibility options for people with disabilities.

In NT: Control Panel\Accessibility Options\Keyboard
Should be similar in XP etc.

David
September 8, 2004 1:05:52 PM

Swap the keyboard over and see if it still happens.
!