ERROR ON INSTALLATION

I have a p4 1.4 computer. 512 ram. It has a 15 gig hd.
I formatted the pc and went to install windows xp. It was working great
until it automatically rebooted and an error generated.
The title of the error box says "Fatal Error"
"An error has been ecountered that prevents Setup from continuing. One of
the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
The parameter is incorrect. Press OK to view the Setup log file."

System Setup Log - (C:\windows\setuperr.log)
Error:
Installation Failed: F:\WXHWPA\I386\asms. Error Message : The parameter is
incorrect.

***

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be
installed

The parameter is incorrect.

***

PLEASE help. I have no clue. I've formatted and formatted and deleted the
partition and recreated partitions with different sizes and formatted again.
No idea what to do. I even put in a different HD thinking that this one
failed. <buzzer> No go. Same error , same location.

Suggestions??

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

check out this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755
sounds like it might point you in the right direction.
hope it helps
george