Sign in with
Your question

Noctua NH-D14 Size

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2013 12:14:01 AM

So ive been told on other sites that the noctua NH D-14 would fit into my case as well as the motherboard but when i went to buy it the other day cause it was on sale for 75.99 the people at the desk counter was like it would be way to big and that i should go for a h100 instead.

My setup:

Mobo: Gigabyte 970a GA-ds3
http://www.techfresh.net/gigabyte-ga-970a-ds3-motherboa...

CPU: FX 6300

Case: CM Haf 912
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php

RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4gb ram
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-...

and if you're wondering why I want an air cooler its because ive been hearing alot of problems with pump failure and noise problems and the fact that ive never used an liquid cooler so im not sure how to set it up myself

More about : noctua d14 size

January 24, 2013 12:38:24 AM

ragnarok612 said:
So ive been told on other sites that the noctua NH D-14 would fit into my case as well as the motherboard but when i went to buy it the other day cause it was on sale for 75.99 the people at the desk counter was like it would be way to big and that i should go for a h100 instead.

My setup:

Mobo: Gigabyte 970a GA-ds3
http://www.techfresh.net/gigabyte-ga-970a-ds3-motherboa...

CPU: FX 6300

Case: CM Haf 912
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php

RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4gb ram
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-...

and if you're wondering why I want an air cooler its because ive been hearing alot of problems with pump failure and noise problems and the fact that ive never used an liquid cooler so im not sure how to set it up myself

i have the same aircooler u have the noctua nh d14 n it is pretty big i have a full tower case n it is close to the side panel fan
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:44:56 AM

I havent exactly bought it yet :[ because im getting mixed answers whether or not the noctua NH d14 would fit in my case / mobo with the included ram
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2013 12:47:50 AM

this is my set up n it fits my full tower case it is a big cooler but if u have lots of room between side panel n motherboard it should fit

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-8120 X8 3100MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+, Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM, WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 2x4, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler for i5, i7, 775 and AMD, COOLMAX ZP-750B APFC/V2.3/EPS12V/V2.92 80+ BRONZE
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:01:30 AM

both motherboard looks like the same size from what i see but u have low profile memory so how tight is the area between the memory and NH d14
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:05:31 AM

yeah i got low profile memory because of the cooler but i am pretty sure i could put regular memory i seen people do it u could always move the fan n my memory is lp n i still have room between the cooler n memory
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:08:38 AM

my memory isnt regular memory T_T its those one listed above which are silghtly big
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:12:49 AM

u could always google it or in u tube or on here but i see people use that kind of memory with this cooler i have lp n i still have room to spare
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:14:18 AM

alright, though ive checked youtube and google for answer but none show up for my motherboard or other ones ive seen with the same size
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:22:50 AM

if u have a full tower case it should not be a problem n if u have room between side panel n motherboard it should not be a problem i seen people use this cooler with some mid tower cases
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 1:35:12 AM

The cooler should fit in that case providing there is no side panel fan around the cpu area.
The motherboard (but not so much) and the memory will be the main problem.

In order for that higher profile memory to fit they will need to be installed in the last 2 memory slots meaning you will only have single channel memory, also you would have to move the front 12cm fan on the cooler to the rear for a pull pull setup.
Buying some low profile memory would fix these issues. Maybe exchange the memory if possible?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 1:50:45 AM

While i dont have that HSF, i have the 212evo, with 2 fans on it. I do have the gigabyte board, have had two of them. the gigabyte boards memory banks, are set up so the the first slot for each channel, are to the right sides (respectively)

So you may want to examine your board!

...oh yeah and i have the same ram as you. I was relieved to see the banks are off set!

hmm little diagram isnt lining up right after its posted :( 
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:57:33 AM

Thats cool thanks for the replies :p , well i just found out the amount of room i needed for ram, 44cm height is the max so i guess i wont be going for the noctua ;/

would it be beneficial for me to get the 212 evo or just stretch my budget for the h100i

h100i the only problem i have with this is how i should place my fans ._. i dont get the whole push pull thing.
and also would the haf 912 support the whole dual radiator?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 2:12:32 AM

ragnarok612 said:
Thats cool thanks for the replies :p , well i just found out the amount of room i needed for ram, 44cm height is the max so i guess i wont be going for the noctua ;/

would it be beneficial for me to get the 212 evo

I have the evo, on a fx6300, and am capped by the heat. I was just debating on trying a bigger hsf, like the one you were asking about!

so I would prolly say no to the 212 evo(even though it is a well performing, budget hsf.) As for the water have to get someone else's input, as im avoiding that route :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 2:23:10 AM

Mt Power said:
While i dont have that HSF, i have the 212evo, with 2 fans on it. I do have the gigabyte board, have had two of them. the gigabyte boards memory banks, are set up so the the first slot for each channel, are to the right sides (respectively)

So you may want to examine your board!

...oh yeah and i have the same ram as you. I was relieved to see the banks are off set!

hmm little diagram isnt lining up right after its posted :( 

Memory banks are usually colour coded, white being channel 1 blue being channel 2, so to run dual channel the memory needs to be in slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4 according to the layout of the OP's board.

Lucky for me my gigabyte motherboard layout sets the channels together so it works out perfect for my NH D-14 and Corsair Dominator memory.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 2:33:47 AM

ShadyHamster said:
Memory banks are usually colour coded, white being channel 1 blue being channel 2, so to run dual channel the memory needs to be in slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4 according to the layout of the OP's board.

Lucky for me my gigabyte motherboard layout sets the channels together so it works out perfect for my NH D-14 and Corsair Dominator memory.

Ok, thats what I was getting at ;)  So mine is the same way, where banks 1, and 3 are the white banks. so the NH D-14 does keep clear of your memory? I am looking at getting something better. might you give us a run down on your spec? including idle and max load temps please!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 2:48:21 AM

ragnarok612 said:
Would it be beneficial for me to get the 212 evo or just stretch my budget for the h100i

Don't buy a closed-loop cooler. There are SO many reasons not to it's not even funny.

Get a good air cooler; there are others that won't have the same problems, that will cool just as well as the h100i, for cheaper.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 2:57:38 AM

My dominator memory is the version with the removable top heatsink, so with that removed my memory is basicly low profile and fits perfectly under the actual heatsink itself.

My setup is this:
AMD Phenom 2 960t @4Ghz
Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 Motherboard
Corsair Dominator 8GB 1600Mhz
Asus HD5870 w/Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme
Seasonic 700w PSU

My CPU vcore for some reason doesn't lower while idle so my idle temps are around 38 degrees, under normal load i get around 45 degrees and while priming i get 49 degrees.
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:25:21 PM

DarkSable said:
Don't buy a closed-loop cooler. There are SO many reasons not to it's not even funny.

Get a good air cooler; there are others that won't have the same problems, that will cool just as well as the h100i, for cheaper.

well if that is the case and i shouldnt go for a closed loop cooler what cooler should i go for, with a decent overclocking ability because most huge ones dont fit my ram :x and im trying to avoid getting new ones since i cant return these and the fact that i just finished my build like 1-2 weeks ago
m
l
a c 147 K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 12:42:17 PM

Your RAM is too tall. Those heat sinks are there to make the RAM "look cool" and are totally unnecessary. I'd swap them out for a low profile set.

And yes, the H100 is noisy....and I'm in agreement with the author here that with today's more efficient CPUs, water cooling has pretty much lost its niche outside the extreme enthusiast crowd.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
It's almost ironic that [air] coolers like this are becoming available just as processors transition to designs that may ultimately render them unnecessary; even overclocked to 5GHz, an Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K doesn't need anywhere near this level of cooling.

And while the Noc is a fine cooler, it's color scheme is a bit hard on the eyes and its 1 year warranty pales next to the Phanteks' 5 years..... here's a performance comparison

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe...
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:02:27 PM

yeah i also looked at the Phanteks PH-TC14PE but it seems like its a little bit bigger than the noctua and it probably wont fit as well. i would get low profile ones when i get more income going but right now i have to stick with these ones ._.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 1:27:12 PM

I saw some people removing the heat spreader from the corsair vengeance.

I am contemplating this...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 4:56:26 PM

Go for it; just make sure that the RAM works first, because it will void your warranty.

However, it isn't going to hurt the chip; heatsinks on RAM are purely decorative.
m
l
a c 311 K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 3:39:33 PM

Ram of that height won't fit under the noctua DH-14
m
l
a c 311 K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 3:40:48 PM

I run the Phanteks PH-TC14PE , and you need the low profile ram for sure its huge.
m
l
January 25, 2013 3:54:58 PM

bleh cant decide what cooler to use then :x i only ones i hear are that are left are the evo and liquid cooling
m
l
!