Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking 3570k

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2013 1:56:01 AM

I've been reading about it and get the idea of over clocking, but I still need some help actually doing it.

Here are the setting for OCing the CPU in bios on the ASRock Z77 Extreme4

I understand that I want to keep the voltage as low as possible for the speed I choose but there seem to be so many other options and I don't know which ones I should change.

I am using the hyper 212 evo. Could I get it stable at 4.4GHz or should I just have 4.2GHz?

More about : overclocking 3570k

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 7:15:03 AM

You need to read guides specific to overclocking the ivy bridge tech before you do anything.

I recommend you have core temp, CPU-Z, and some form of stress testing software (I use prime95 large FFTs test). You should check temperatures and voltages before you screw with anything to make sure your system is running OK.

Then you need to decide if you are going to overclock using the "offset" method or not. That makes a somewhat big difference on how you approach the overclock.

With the EVO you should be able to hit 4.2-4.4 depending on how good your chip is, how hard you want to push the chip, and what voltages and temperatures you consider "safe".

Whatever you do, don't use a peice of crap overclocking program. Use BIOS only.

If you plan to do a straight overclock (non offset type) I can probably help you - please do a little reading first... It's risky to come to a forum and expect someone write you a full overclock guide. It's better than you do enough research you mostly know what you are doing, then ask a few specific questions - or post your BIOS screens after you overclock so people can help you identify any slight adjustments that might help.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 211 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 11:26:00 AM

1. NO DOT touch your FSB, keep it at 100, just increase multiplier and voltage.
2. You need to follow a process to find the best voltage for your specific chip. The best voltage varies from chip to chip, even if theya re the same model. For example my CPU is stable at 4.7GHz with 1.32v
3. There are a few things you need to do to get the process going. See below simplified process and link(the link is more for experienced OCers)

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overcloc...

OK there is a guide, its not really for beginners, so it boils down to...

1. Disable all power saving adn turbo boost features and pick a load calibration, 1 being very stiff and one voltage constantly, 2 being a little more relax(easier to achieve stability), i prefer level 2.
2. Set voltage to fixed at first and drop it to 0.9v. (easier than fixed)
3. Boot into windows and run prime 95 or similar stresstest to test for stability for atleast half an hour. This will give you an idea of how sensitive your specific CPU is to voltage change.
4. Increase your voltage to 1.2v and multiplyer to 4.2GHz. Test thoroughly for an hour. Keep a close eye on temps with real temp or HWmonitor.

To go above 4.2GHz.

Increase Multiplier one at a time testing for half an hour between each bump. When stability is lost, add 0.05v and try again.

Repeat process until you reach your desired OC or unacceptable temps(drop one clock and/or Voltage) and viola you have your OC...

Just follow the process and you can OC with ease.
January 26, 2013 8:28:18 PM

I set the core voltage to 1.2 and multiplier to 44 and ran a high level stress test on Intel Burn Test. It successfully completed and said that it was stable. Here is a screenshot.

Should I run a test with prime95, should I try to lower the voltage more, or just leave it?
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 8:31:30 PM

Seems like a decent chip you got there. Now try prime95 for atleast 30 min. Ist longer, better at testing stability.
m
l
January 26, 2013 8:46:00 PM

wow your chips extremely hot
m
l
January 26, 2013 9:02:44 PM

Which test should I be doing? Small FFTs, In-place large FFTs, Blend, or custom?
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 9:10:44 PM

Blend is good.
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 9:11:14 PM

footlong96 said:
wow your chips extremely hot

How is his chip hot?

m
l
January 26, 2013 9:17:26 PM

84C lolz for your maximum
m
l
January 26, 2013 9:18:04 PM

oh woops. Up to 89C in one core.
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 9:28:28 PM

footlong96 said:
oh woops. Up to 89C in one core.

What cooler are you using?
89C is fine for Ivy, but too hot for a 24/7 OC.
m
l
January 26, 2013 10:09:34 PM

Not me, I meant his chip. Its pretty high.
m
l
January 26, 2013 11:00:43 PM

I've had prime95 running for a little over an hour now with no errors. Most people say to have it run for 24 hours though, because it could take over 20 hours to find an error. So far, the max temp has been 84ºC. At 100% load, it seems to range from 70ºC to 84ºC but probably averages at mid-high 70s.

Are these temps acceptable?

Now all cores are mid 60s at 100%, so I guess it varies a lot.
m
l
January 27, 2013 3:22:35 AM

It has now been over 5 hours without error. Should I let it continue? Should I lower the voltage more and test again? Do you think I should raise the multiplier any more?
m
l
a c 211 à CPUs
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 27, 2013 3:57:06 AM

BMF96 said:
It has now been over 5 hours without error. Should I let it continue? Should I lower the voltage more and test again? Do you think I should raise the multiplier any more?

Try to lower voltage a bit, that will drop your temps too.
m
l
January 27, 2013 4:17:28 PM

Best answer selected by BMF96.
m
l
!