Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5450 DXVA issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2010 3:54:45 PM

I just got myself a Radeon 5450 for my HTPC and am experiencing severe issues with it: even though I have configured MPC-HC to use DXVA for H264, it fails to do so very often (but not all the time); when I force it to use hardware rendering by disabling the H264 software filter, video output becomes filled with artifacts and unwatchable.
There are two things in particular I don't understand: why are h264 video streams embedded in mp4 containers seemingly working fine (different videos though, so I can't be 100% certain this is the cause) and why are the same mkv files that refuse to be hardware accelerated by the Radeon working fine on my old laptop's Geforce 8600M GT.
I am running Windows 7 with the latest (downloaded yesterday) Catalyst drivers and update to the DirectX runtime.
As I specifically built the system to be a media center and I am stuck with a Pentium D for the time being, working hardware acceleration is essential to me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
March 4, 2010 3:57:46 PM

I doubt that it is a power issue so check the card isn't over heating and is it a rather small case by the way? What model is that Pentium D why just indulge me?
March 4, 2010 4:35:05 PM

Even though the case is quite small and cramped, I wouldn't heat to be the issue (doesn't it draw around 17W at full load? Also, the artifacting only affects the DXVA video being played, the rest of the frame buffer is fine. Oh and finally, a higher bitrate VC1 encoded MKV works fine on the same card). CPU is a Pentium D 930 (Presler, 65 nanometers, 95W TDP; sounds like a jet engine when under load).
March 4, 2010 5:45:16 PM

kaworu1986 said:
Even though the case is quite small and cramped, I wouldn't heat to be the issue (doesn't it draw around 17W at full load? Also, the artifacting only affects the DXVA video being played, the rest of the frame buffer is fine. Oh and finally, a higher bitrate VC1 encoded MKV works fine on the same card). CPU is a Pentium D 930 (Presler, 65 nanometers, 95W TDP; sounds like a jet engine when under load).

Better than the 8xx series but any way check the temps on the card. gpu z or riva tuner. Make sure that you programs that you are using have up to date plugins but either than that all you can most likely do is wait for better drivers or experiment with VCL. I had playback issues with ATI cards as well in the past.
!