Sign in with
Your question

So... my PSU died right?

Last response: in Components
May 27, 2010 3:19:33 PM

It was a good one too, PC Power & Cooling 'stealth' or something, 780W iirc.

Anyways, i powered down last night for updates and went to bed. I wasn't watching the screen while it shut down, but i'm assuming it shut down okay, i didn't hear any weird noises or smell any smoke.

This morning i went to power it on and nothing happened. I cracked open the case, and the green LED on my mobo is no longer lit.

So far i have tried:
-paperclip test. As far as i understand it. This is what i did: unplugged the big molex from my motherboard, put one end of a paperclip into the end of a green wire, and the other end into the end of a black wire. And then tried to power on. nothing happened.

-different cord which definitely works with my monitor

-different outlet.

So, at this point, unless there's something i forgot, i'm fairly certain my PSU died in its sleep last night :fou: 

If there is something i forgot to test let me know! I might RMA it, but i just don't have the packaging and stuff anymore, so i may have to cough up for another one.

More about : psu died

May 27, 2010 4:31:02 PM

Generally the paperclip test is fairly conclusive. If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if any of the rails are putting out the correct voltages.

Yellow Wire: 12v+
Red Wire: 5v+
Orange Wire: 3.3v+
m
l
May 27, 2010 4:53:42 PM

I guess i'll go get a new PSU.

If i got a good reading with a multimeter what would that even mean? I still can't power on.

Thanks for your input though.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 27, 2010 6:45:51 PM

Hmmmm,If you have a Stealth X Stream then you have an OCZ psu not a Pc Power And Cooling,,and you have a 36 month exchange window,from date of purchase,check with OCZ ,,,@OCZ.COM...:) 
m
l
May 27, 2010 10:12:38 PM

geeeeoffff1 said:
I guess i'll go get a new PSU.

If i got a good reading with a multimeter what would that even mean? I still can't power on.

Thanks for your input though.

Because if you were getting certain signals and not others, that could indicate a simple fix such as a blown cap. It's just good practice to double and triple check everything.
m
l
!