Sign in with
Your question

Computer Randomly Freezing (I suspect a memory problem)

Last response: in Memory
November 18, 2010 4:11:08 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware Forum-goers!

I have a puzzling problem for you today that you can hopefully fix (you guys are the best !! !:D D ^.^ :B). Lately my computer has been freezing randomly. Heres a list of some of the information about it:

-started freezing about 2 months ago (cant recall if it was after i installed a new program or something tho)
-shortest time between freezes is 1 day (until today froze twice in a row)
-longest time between freezes is about 5 days
-only happens when I'm playing a computer game (wow or minecraft mostly), Ive never come back to the comp to see it froze
-its not from overheating, im sure about that, i got a badass heatsink on my cpu
-I ran memtest overnight on all my rams (6 GB) and got no errors, I still kinda suspect the memory tho

Ive been searching for a fix for this online for a couple days now and I found some guy with a very similar symptoms and it ended up being a thing with memory timings. I couldnt figure out how to look up the vendor list specification for the ram or whatever tho, i found some lists i think but i got lost pretty quickly. So I seek your help my friends! heres a system specifications list (reading off my newegg order list):

i7 2.66 ghz (xigmatek dark knight heatsink slapped on top)
6 GB (3x2GB) OCZ platinum 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 low voltage desktop memory model...
windows 7 64bit ultimate
intel x25-M SSD 80 GB
WD 1 TB storage drive
GeForce GTX 275 896MB
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
850W corsair modular psu

thanks for your help!
ps: my computer is a little over a year old (built by myself, but I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the details)! TY :) 
a b } Memory
November 18, 2010 10:39:26 AM

Download HW Monitor and send us the temp readings.......
Even if you say it's not the CPU since you have (As you say) a nice HSF, we'd still like to see the results of your temps of the GPU and CPU when this seems to happen.....
And if you feel it the RAM timings, just set it to Auto in the BIOS and see if it occurs again, if it does, then it's not the RAM timings....
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
November 18, 2010 12:48:08 PM

Reset the BIOS, load the defaults BIOS settings and test the RAM stick by stick and not all at the same time.
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2010 9:47:52 PM

well i got that CPUID hardware monitor, I also have rivatuner and coretemp. For my GPU when I'm doing a raid or something in WoW I go up to about 80 degree C max and none my CPU cores ever read over 45C.

Maybe I could turn up my fan speeds on my GPU because its just set at 40% all the time right now.

As for memory, you mean just take out all the sticks but one and run it for a couple days?

-thanks
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
November 18, 2010 10:21:54 PM

Yeah, but not for a couple days, just download memtest86+ boot with it and test the RAM with 2 passes.

You can use MSI Afterburner to control the fan speed of your GPU, 80ºC are a little high IMO.
m
l
November 26, 2010 1:40:50 PM

Okay, thanks for help!

I tried what you said Saint19, testing each RAM with memtest individually multiple times and they all came up clean.

I also raised my fan speed of my GPU so it won't go over 70 degrees Celsius ever.

My computer restarted earlier today though, besides all these changes :(  and I dont know what the problem is still

-Bukky

m
l
a c 163 } Memory
November 26, 2010 1:47:46 PM

The RAM passed but I don't trust much in OCZ. If you can RMA (if still have warranty) do it, or get a borrow RAM to test the rig.
m
l
!