Splitting the AVI file

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi guys,

I posted this question in Divx forum but couldn't get a reply. Maybe you can come up with something.

I recently started to use Divx and converted my first DVD to avi. The quality is very nice but it took 1.1Gb. So I want to put this movie into two CDs (I used a bit rate calculator and it told me that to fit into a single CD, I should use a bit rate of 300 something. My 1.1Gb file is coded with 1500). I need some tool or way to cut the avi file into two.

Do you know any tool that does that?

Regards,

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Virtual Dub should do the job nicely. Get a copy at <A HREF="http://www.doom9.net" target="_new">http://www.doom9.net</A> in the download section. Learn how to use it by going to the guides.

You are evidently using Flask or a similar program. When you get more familiar with the process I suggest trying Fair Use or Nandub. Both allow a much more precise final size (almost exact) and both make use of VBR or Variable Bit Rate. VBR is a great thing. Instead of picking a set bit rate and wondering how big your avi is gonna be, VBR adjusts the level of compression to maximize quality within a givin file size.

Fair Use is very easy to use (easier then Flask) but FU does not do sound (yet) and the sound can be a real pain to compress seperately and then reintegrate. Nandub is hard to use and also does not do sound but is much quicker then FU and if you know what you are doing produces better results. I am lazy and prefer FU but FU does not work on rips. FU needs the original DVD and does its own custom rip. Both FU and Nandub are at Doom9's place. Good luck!

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think there's a program called AVIChop or something out there that will do it. It's a pretty small program.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Thanks guys for your replies. Last night, I chopped the avi into two. Now I can write them into CDs.

And lakedude, I will give a try on Nandup and FU. You guessed right as well, I was using Flask.

Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just curious. Did you go find that AVIchop thing or did you use VD? If you did use chop where did you find it and did you like it?

G

Sorry for the late reply lakedude. I had a problem with the darn modem. Anyway...

I used a program called "VirtualDub". You just click to start here, then stop here and hit delete. There you go. Save as a new file. Thats it.

BTW, haw do you run this Nandup stuff. I've downloaded the file but when I double click it, it gives some dll error. Should I run it under System folder? There is no install stuff or anything?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
NanduB is basically the same prorgam as Virtual DuB and you use them the same way except that Nandub has an extra SBC section and allows for 2 pass conversions. Nandub is a hack of Virtual Dub. They install and run the same way and they look the same except for the extra options available in ND. VD has been modified in several different ways by other people to increase usefulness. You may need to redownload your copy. Nandub has tons of options. The first time you use it you may just skip over setting all the extra stuff and go right to the bitrate calculator. The calculator is not just an estimator, it will cause ND to exactly size the avi and even leave room for sound if you wish.

I like Fair Use the best cause it is easy. Check it out too.

G

Thanks mate. I made it work. And , as you can guess, since then I've been reading stuff about Nandup :) :)

Anyway, it is fairly easy to use it since there are so many guides around the internet.

Though I've seen a problem during the conversion. Maybe you (or anybody) can have a clue.

I try to make the first run. From the SBC settings, I click

"No AVI output"

then run the 1st run with default settings. Save the stats file. But the darn tool still generates a temp avi file under the Nandup folder. And its size is HUGE. After 2-3 minutes I recieve an error saying

"File size can not exceed 4GB"

The estimated size of that f[beep] file is more than 180GB!!!

How do you prevent it to happen?

Regards,

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like everything is not set up right before the run. Doom9 advises NOT to screw with "no avi output" and instead set everything up for both passes and run them together with the two pass option. His exact words "Pressing Shift-F8 will do the 2 passes after each other so it's imperative that you have already configured the program properly as being shown below." This runs both passes one after the other with no need for you to do anything in between and automatically sets the first pass up to not output avi. You don't need to remember anything about the first pass as the stats are automatically fed to the second pass and the second pass starts itself. When I use NanduB this is the way I do it.

Since your file size is so big I'm thinking you are trying to save the video completely uncompressed or something. Make sure you have a codec selected and use the bitrate calculator, then try that s-f8. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.