Solved

Home network with 2 routers, sharing files

Hello, i am new to the forums so if this is in the wrong section please let me know and i will change it.

Ok first i'll describe what i'm trying to do, i live in a household with 5 computers (3 wired, 2 wireless). I have two routers and only one internet connection. I have them set up to connect to the internet right now. Works fine. Problem i'm having is i cannot see any other the other computers in my network. Basically to share files etc... What i need to know is what i have to do to set up my network to allow this. Router 1 has 2 computers hooked into it and router 2 has 3. Router one is the one that is connected to the internet. I also want to add that i want to be able to connect to the internet on any of the computers and be able to share files as well. One of these computers on router 2 is a homeserver, i don't need to know much about this as it is up and going already working fine. But i cannot connect to my homeserver from any of the computers on router 1 to the homeserver. I know there is a way of doing this i'm just out of idea's on how to do it.

Here is some info on the systems if needed
Router 1 - Dlink
router 2 - Linksys
1 computer running windows xp
1 computer running windows 2000
2 computers running windows 7 ultimate
1 computer running windows home server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And just in case someone is wondering i am using 2 routers it is because on router 2, i need 3 computers hooked up and only have 1 ethernet port. I know a switch would work better for me or even a hub, but i had the 2nd router and didn't want to spend more money if i didn't have to.

Thank you
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about home network routers sharing files
  1. Best answer
    On the second router, change the IP address to be in the same range as the first (ie: 192.168.0.2), disable DHCP and connect the CAT5 cable from the first router to a LAN port on the second.
  2. Best answer selected by wrasmu.
  3. Thank you this worked perfectly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Computers Networking