Sign in with
Your question

No display after OC

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2013 7:05:40 AM

I have overclocked to 375x7 and its stable but i wanted to go past that, problem is when i do i won't get a video display after the bios settings are saved and the restart.

I have an abit ab9 pro MB and an Intel Core2Duo E6300 1.86GHz

Also anyone know what the max temp for my cpu is? I get around 30 idle and 55-60 on load.

More about : display

January 24, 2013 10:36:16 PM

Did you touch FSB speed or left it at 100mhz?
January 25, 2013 1:47:41 AM

FSB? Sorry i'm new to oc but i didn't see anything in my bios settings called that. The only thing i saw at 100MHz in my bios was PCI Express clock

Heres a pic of what it looks like on my bios (this is from the manual not a direct pic of mine)

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/6702/thisss2.png

All i did was change the External Clock

I looked in CPU-z though, it says "Rated FSB - 1500.00 MHz"
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 2:10:04 AM

External Clock is the FSB, which you should never put that high - generally 120 is the point of failure.

You overclock by changing the multiplier... If you're lucky, you haven't fried your USB, SATA, PCIe, and DIMM slots.
January 25, 2013 2:16:22 AM

Been running it like this for awhile now and nothings wrong?

by default it was like 272 anyway..?

Also everywhere i looked about my cpu people were saying they did it past 400.
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 2:42:10 AM

DarkSable said:
External Clock is the FSB, which you should never put that high - generally 120 is the point of failure.

You overclock by changing the multiplier... If you're lucky, you haven't fried your USB, SATA, PCIe, and DIMM slots.

no, your thinking of modern i3's and i5's, this is a core 2 duo. multiplier is locked but you can change your fsb as high as your motherboard is stable. the fsb is separate from usb, ssata, pcie etc in socket 775. the fsb is 4x multiplier on these boards, so if its 200mhz in bios you x by 4 and its 800 mhz actual fsb.

Anyway, What you need to do is clear your BIOS with the jumper on the motherboard, you might need your motherboard manual to do this or it may be labeled on the board. This will get everything back to default and hopefully get your display back. you can then get back to tweaking. 65C is the highest i would go with temps on that cpu. I have had my fair share of overclocking c2d6600 and c2Q6600, they overclock well, you can add more vcore voltage to get it stable at higher frequencies, but if its not posting at all just reset the bios first, hopefully you havnt blown anything up.
January 25, 2013 2:57:21 AM

No everything is currently fine (I'm typing from the computer I've OC'd), when i try to go past 375 i just get no display, but if i turn the comp off and turn it back on it automatically reset to 375 and everything is working fine.
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 6:23:34 AM

OK, well, i would say its probably your motherboard is the limit, 375mhz is 1500mhz actual, thats quite a bit above the motherboards rated speed of 1333. I would be happy with what you have.
!