Upgraded CPU to quad core but pc wont boot?

cal2857

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hi all,

I upgraded by CPU from a dual core to a quad core but the system will not boot. It doesnt even get to the P.O.S.T stage?

Ive checked that my motherboard is compatible, which according to their website it is, and ive also updated the BIOS. Im running out of ideas.

The only other thing I can think of is the PSU.

This is the specifications:
Dell Inspiron 530
Motherboard - Foxconn g33m02
Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad q8300
PSU - 300W

Thanks for helping

Craig

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009

This is going to sound very ridiculous and condescending, but bare with me...
Are you sure you the CPU is in the socket and secured properly?

I remember a friend long ago had a problem like this and it turned out he didn't slide the clock that engages all the pins... yada yada yada...

What else happens?
Do any lights or fans come on? Any beeps or clicks? Do you see anything on your screen at all?
I'm assuming that you updated the BIOS prior to installing this new CPU?

cal2857

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Thankyou for replying.

Honestly, I take no offence.

This is the first time ive tried to install a CPU so it could be a possibility. The reason I was wasnt thinking about that is because I thought with a socket 775, there was only one way to slot it in?

When i switch on the pc, there is an orange light on the front of the pc and mobo. Absolutely no beeps or clicks and nothing on the monitor

The bios update wasnt done until after I installed the new CPU so I reinstalled my other CPU and then updated it

If you look here you will see you need an updated bios to run a 45nm CPU.
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000319&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000002&keywords=&sort=BIOS

I am guessing that had an old conroe 65nm core 2 duo in it so you will defintely need the most up to date bios I would check dells website first for the bios update.

Try dells update first if that dont work use the ones off Foxconn website.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D530&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

Now you will have to do update with the old CPU in so I hope you still have that.

cal2857

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Thankyou for replying

Yes ive still got the old cpu so ill do both the updates now and then reinstall the new cpu after

Thanks for all your help guys. Its really appreciated

Ill post back and let you know how i get on

Cheers

Craig

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009

That's probably it.

I thought he already got the latest BIOS though, my bad.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Have you tried re-setting the BIOS? Some motherboards decide that they won't boot after an update until you clear the BIOS. There should be a jumper on the motherboard to allow you to do this.

The BiOS was my thought as well. I actually had somebody who was doing a build and was all excited putting things together. Ended up very disappointed when it didn't boot. In his hurry, he forgot to remove the plastic protective cap from the processor. No Kidding. : )

cal2857

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hi all,

Ive worked out what the problem is. After researching more about my motherboard, ive found that because I have a dell, the Foxconn motherboard I have differs from the one they retail.

If I had opted to buy a quad core at the time of purchase, Dell would have upgraded my motherboard to a g33m03, which would have had a higher voltage regulator (11). Because I opted for the dual core, they supplied a cheaper mobo (g33m02) which has a voltage regulator of 6.

If it had have been the retail version of this board then flashing the mobo's BIOS would probably have worked but there we are.

Thankyou all for your solutions and replies.

Craig

russel00

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hi Craig,

Yesterday I went and purchased a Q9400 to replace the E4300 that came with my Dell Vostro 200.

I made sure I did my research checking the specs of G33M03 board all which told me it was compatible with the Dual Core 65nm or Quad Core 45nm processors and the socket type was the same LGA775.

Of course you can relate to my surprise after installing the Q9400 and pressing the power button I was greeted to a blank screen and cooling fans holding on high speed no bios. I put the E4300 back in and BIOS and Win7 loaded as normal, swapped back to the Q9400 still have same problem.

Naturally I turned to google and after coming across every forums suggesting installing the latest version of BIOS, I went to the Dell drivers website where I found the new 1.016 Bios (release 2010) and upgraded my 1.0.15 BIOS version which made no difference.

After a total of about 15 hours Googling and scratching my head I finally come across this thread and would just like to give you a "Standing Ovation".

What would have been nice is if Foxconn gave the motherboard a different model number to highlight the board is different to the retail version.

Russel

cmedic

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Im have a Dell 530 G33 chipset w/a dual core. Used the Dell upgrade app manager to look at upgrade options per service code. It advised me that I could purchase a Quad through Dell's site a solid option per my service code. Instead, purchased a Q6600 online, upgraded the latest BIOs, installed the new Quad and faced: High Fan, no POST, blank screen as the others. Im an experienced IT guy and once again, wished I had run it by "TomsHardware" posting instead of just seeing if the "stars lined up" on paper specs. Looks like its time to put in a new board.... BTW, Great posts by all prior. Wish I took my time to read them first.

Tan0lan

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I too have the Inspiron 530, and ordered a quad core online after checking the specs on foxcons site. I was afraid of running into this issue, but i told myself it would be fine. To my dismay, after install i was greeted by a blank screen and orange light. Oh well, all the more reason to switch to a board with almost 3 times the clock speed/ddr3 ram (1600). Just wish i had come across this page sooner to spare the surprise. Now I need a mobo, ram kit, and case, etc. Now all i have to do is decide on Vista or 7. I have been unable so far to get my 7 computer to connect to other pc's or network hard drive. One problem at a time i suppose. Thanks for the info.

G

Hi guys, thank for your replys. I have the probs, have a dell inspiron with a 1.8ghz celeron so i upgraded to a 2.8 ghz celeron but no bios boot screen so i figured maybe the processor was a dude so i bought a 2.4ghz pentium duo. Again nada on boot. Think it mght be the same problem?