Always liked ASUS - but warranty is not what it seems?

rdmpe

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Here's something that caught me by surprise. I bought a retail ASUS P5B in December 2007. Recently the board died on me. Will not post, etc. There is at least one obviously bad capacitor - showing a domed top. So I thought I was coming in just under the wire since the board has a 3 year warranty!

However, the 3 year warranty is based on the manufacture date (via serial number) so it was out of warranty somewhere around July 2010 instead of being warrantied through the purchase date in December 2010.

As a consumer, we can't tell how much of a warranty period remains on these mobos unless we know when they were manufactured. So it is possible to have a bunch of boards on a retail shelf with warranty periods that are several months different!

Is this typical of other manufacturers too? I seem to remember having HDD warranties that were based on purchase date...

Here's the email from ASUS:
> My name is Sonny and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.
>
> According to your serial number your warranty ran out April 2010. With
> the 3 month shelf life warranty it took it to July 2010. You can try
> sending in for repair but there is a $120.00 repair fee plus shipping.
>
> ASUS Manufacturer's Warranty is a limited manufacturer's warranty. All
> ASUS motherboards purchased after November 1st, 1999 will carry a 3
> year warranty service term.
>
> Warranty is based upon manufacturing date (serial number printed on
> actual product).

That's sad but you can always try and get it repaired or exchanged from the retailer you bought it from if you have the proof of purchase on you.
He is obliged to give you the full term of warranty as specified by the manufacturer.....
If he said 3 Years warranty from the date you purchased it, he's got to change it for you on his own behalf.....