My psu exploded

G

hi,
my psu went bang and sparked. no smoky smell. i have removed it and can't see anything. the problem is the other fan in the middle of the pc was smoking and hot the week before. i cleaned it and it worked fine then the psu exploded. i think it was dust build up and the volt switch at the back was changed by mistake. how do i know whether anything else has been damaged? i dont want to buy a new psu if the motherboard is damaged. everything inside seems good no burns or anything. the system is only 4 years old. also if its completely broken how can i get photos etc from the hard drive? thanks

Attach the hard drive to another computer and boot from the regular drive. If it's IDE, don't forget to set the pin as slave. If SATA, don't worry about that just change the boot order in the bios.
Alternatively, you can purchase an enclosure for the drive at any computer store that will allow it to connect via USB.

Slayer697

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

There's no sound more sickening than the sound of a component crackling as sparks fly out of it.

I feel for you fellow slayer. To answer your question, the best way to see if the other components are working is to stick another PSU in the case and hook the components up. It sounds like that's not an option for you. If you have another PC, you can check components other than the motherboard and CPU by connecting them to your other PC. To be fair, if you have access to another PC you could just grab the PSU from that provided it's powerful enough to supply your system.