Right I cant remember if my specs are in my sig so here they are:

Quote:

ASUS M4A786TD-V EVO motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz
HD 4890 Vapor-X 1GB
4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Vantec VAN ION 2 600Watt PSU
Samsung SyncMaster P2070 1600x900 60Hz LCD

Suppose I run Call of Duty 4 at a constant 125 fps. This should be beyond unnoticeable by the human eye but it doesnt seem butter smooth. Modern Warfare 2 runs at a minimum of about 60fps but seems 'laggy'. Not entirely the same as low-fps lag, but its noticeable. If I turn on v-sync in Mass Effect 2 it goes at a steady 60fps, but at like 1 part in the game where it drops to ~55fps you notice it 'jerk' as if it was running at ~30fps. Really weird. Also, in Borderlands, when a new area loads, it will drop to ~40fps for a while before evening out to ~60fps. It seems laggy as hell at ~40fps?? Isn't that still not really bad at all?

Any idea why this is happening?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:03:35 PM

You're spending way too much time looking at fps totals instead of playing the games.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:06:20 PM

It could quite possibly be the monitor's problem.I ran my 7600GT on Tf2 on an 18'' monitor, and it was really laggy at 30FPS. I upgraded to a 23'' monitor, and now it looks fine at 20FPS. It might be that that resolution is really awkward as well. Try 1650x1080.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2010 7:19:35 PM

Not sure its your graphics card. There are times when apps kick off in the background. Some antivirus products will do that as well as other scheduled activities. For some reason these background apps dont see that the game is running and they say the system is unused, lets run now. You see a stutter as the CPU gets dragged away for some other work.

I might look at Task Scheduler to see whats running
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:31:49 PM

Turn down all graphics settings to minimum. If it works just fine, then it's your GPU. If you still lag, it's your CPU loading junk. Especially because you said, "as I walk into new areas..".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:52:35 PM

60-75 fps is the refresh rate for most monitors, and probably yours too...meaning that your monitor only renders 60-75 fps.

If you have a minimum of 60fps and your game is laggy, then:

1. Glitchy/Bugs/inefficient coding that stutters or locks up your game and has nothing to do with the fps the video card renders
2. your internet connection is laggy, not your fps
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 8:09:06 PM

Borderlands is horrible, in it a 5870 is worse than a GTX 260, a 4850 worse than a 9500GT.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 8:47:27 PM

sabot00 said:
Borderlands is horrible, in it a 5870 is worse than a GTX 260, a 4850 worse than a 9500GT.

I didn't have any problems with Borderlands at all, I don't recall what the framerates were but they never dropped to unplayable levels or seemed to lag or stutter at any point. It was quite an amusing game all in all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 9:24:11 PM

I have it too, but my friend with a 9500GT can max it out while my 4670 can barely play it on medium.

Look at your rig, you have GF's all-around.
It's very optimized for nVidia (TWIMTP title).
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 9:35:39 PM

sabot00 said:
I have it too, but my friend with a 9500GT can max it out while my 4670 can barely play it on medium.

Look at your rig, you have GF's all-around.
It's very optimized for nVidia (TWIMTP title).

Surely my little old 8800's can't be making that much of a difference. [:mousemonkey]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 9:47:47 PM

Borderlands doesn't even allow you to use AA on ATI cards, talk about a sucky console port.

I actually very much like the gameplay, if it wasn't for the horrible performance then it would be one of my favorite games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 10:02:25 PM

lol i play borderlands on an 8600gts at 1980x1080 med settings no problem. I was really really surprised. Loved the game too, till the ending. Ending ucked so much it was unreal. you defeat this badass monster that does almost nothing ( i didnt even get hit ) to get to the loot, and you dont get any loot :(  I didnt even get a damn drop from the monster :/ 
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 10:30:24 PM

Truhls said:
lol i play borderlands on an 8600gts at 1980x1080 med settings no problem. I was really really surprised. Loved the game too, till the ending. Ending ucked so much it was unreal. you defeat this badass monster that does almost nothing ( i didnt even get hit ) to get to the loot, and you dont get any loot :(  I didnt even get a damn drop from the monster :/ 

I have to agree with you on that, I did think the ending was a tad odd to say the least.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 11:14:40 PM

I got 2 weapons from the boss:
A suck repeater
And a shotgun

I was a Hunter, so both were more than useless.
I was expecting the Destoryer to be more difficult, at least they they should change it to a bull that can move.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:03:25 AM

Yeh I think sabot is correct. I was looking over the benchmarks and it seems like it is the most heavily Nvidia favoring game I've ever seen.

It shows a GTX260 outperforming a 5870, and a 9600GT outperforming a 48x00 series card.
m
l
March 5, 2010 6:46:34 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, but you said that
Quote:
1. Glitchy/Bugs/inefficient coding that stutters or locks up your game and has nothing to do with the fps the video card renders
2. your internet connection is laggy, not your fps

About number 1: If say fraps reports a steady 60 frames per second, that means that 60 frames are rendered per second. Thats all you see, so you cant stutter AND have steady fps at the same time. it doesnt make sense.
About number 2: Thats entirely possible actually, but seeing as the issue occurs across different games online / ofline I'm not convinced.

Quote:
You're spending way too much time looking at fps totals instead of playing the games.

I dont look at the numbers because numbers excite me. if a game stutters then it isnt as enjoyable because you totally lose the immersion. Also, if youre gonna fork out money on a gaming rig, you damn well hope it plays smoothly.

The issue isnt really the lag itself, but that there shouldnt be any perceviable at those framerates, yet there is. It could be the screen though as you said. ohwell thanks
m
l
!