HELP!!! New Build is crashing/stalling/etc

pottsy523

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I recently made my first build with these specs:
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Mobo: ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R687D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
PSU: XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996781

I am also re-using my HDD and DVD from my Dell XPS. (Had to reformat the HDD with Win7 in order for it to work with new build.)
CD/DVD: HG5894D VEG622Z SCSI
HDD: WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 Serial ATA SATA-300

Once the new OS was installed (and all related drivers, excluding dell driver for DVD, keyboard/mouse), everything worked fine. Start-up was slow (upwards of a minute), but I wasn't too worried about that.

Then everything went to hell. Upon start-up, several processes failed to initialize, different memory references couldn't be read, and blue screens abounded. To the point that the system blue screened before the OS fully loaded. I reformatted and reinstalled everything. Same result - worked for a couple days, then crapped out.

Several errors were memory related, so I though the problem was the RAM. I moved the 2 sticks to the other slots, and everything worked normally (immediately after blue screens upon startup before changing slots). I ran mem diagnostics and no problems were found. So I thought the issue was the mem slots on the mobo. To prove that, I moved the sticks back to the original slots, but everything STILL worked. I ran mem diagnostics and no errors were found.

EDIT: Failed to mention that in the midst of the above issues, checkdisk ran a couple times on start-up and a TON of indexes, etc were corrupted/removed/fixed, etc.

Once again, the system worked for a couple days, but now it is starting to crap out again - blue screens (although not as many as before), mainly just system freezing and apps stalling. Problems seem to abound when I play Crysis (the only game I have on the PC right now).

I now wonder if the problem is my HDD, but possible culprits could be the mem slots on the Mobo and/or the RAM.

What are your thoughts?

My first thought is RAM voltage. My second thought is that you're probably running your default or [Auto] settings in the BIOS. What you've described suggests that there is some instability issues in your configuration.

Here are a few things to try:

1. Manually set your RAM timing, frequency, and voltage
2. Check to see if the Mushkins are on the ASRock QVL for RAM
3. If after performing step 1 you still get the BSODs, disconnect non-essential devices to reduce load on your PSU, and then monitor the performance of your system.
4. If after performing step 3 you still get BSODs, test your PSU for deficiancy.

pottsy523

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I've noticed a few places that say to configure the BIOS. Again, this is my first build, so I guess I was naive enough to assume I could plug n' play the components. I was planning on looking into that tonight, so thanks for the confirmation on that.

I don't know if this changes anything, but I failed to mention this (have added the below line to original post):
EDIT: Failed to mention that in the midst of the above issues, checkdisk ran a couple times on start-up and a TON of indexes, etc were corrupted/removed/fixed, etc.

pottsy523

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

A-ha. Yet another newbie mistake apparently...according to the QVL for the mobo on ASROCK's site, Mushkin isn't even on the list...anywhere. Guess at I might need to change the RAM. I'll try BIOS configs first though.

Thanks for the ideas.

Not necessarily. Just because an item is not on the QVL, that doesn't mean it is guaranteed to fail. The QVL is there as a guide, not a requirement. Now, if you're wondering why the QVL is important, this is because you would typically build a computer from the motherboard up. Checking the QVL on the mobo will aid in the selection of other devices.

So, before you get new RAM, play with the BIOS a little more. Stability can often be increased with voltage. Good luck.

pottsy523

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Got it. Now, what about the checkdisk errors I mentioned? Could faulty configurations cause corrupted and orphaned indexes? Or might this be an entirely different issue?