USB 2 has messed up many of my USB devices.

lopesian

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hey everyone, first I'd like to just say hi to everyone here, I hope that I don't screw this up too much since I'm new.

So I've got this PC that I built with my friend a couple of weeks ago. Everything has gone pretty smooth so far, but I've encountered a huge problem. The USB 2.0 ports on the front have messed up several of my devices. I really don't know what the problem is, but my only guess is that it fried them somehow. Now when I try to plug them into any other USB ports, they just don't work. They seem to get power, but have become totally useless. I've tried plugging all of my other ports, as well as on other computers, but they straight up don't work. There's two USB2.0 ports in the front (the ones that have messed up my stuff), as well as two USB3.0 (that work fine). Has anyone else ever experienced this? What's going on? What am I going to do about my accessories that have been fucked up by this?

Here's my PC's specs in case you need them:
Case-Corsair Obsidian 650D
PS-Corsair TX750M
MOBO-Asus P8Z68-V PRO Gen3
RAM-8 GBs Kingston HyperX Red
Processor-Intel i7 2600K
Cooler-Antec Kuhler 620
SSD-OCZ 60 GB
HD-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Solution
OK. that is strange. if it makes you feel (slightly) better it wouldn't be your friend who.connected it. unless they are individual pin connectors. it'd have to be corsair wiring power/connectors wrong to cause damage. and as i said they are pretty squared away.obviously don't plug anything new into them till you figure it out. don't want to.ruin anything else

lopesian

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Well, I wasn't the one doing the wiring, my friend did that. I'm going to call him up and ask him to come over and check to see if he can fix it up.

@unksol The problem that I'm getting is that they just don't seem to understand the device has been plugged in. In the case of my Webcam, I had it plugged in working fine on the back, then to test all the ports out I tried the 2 USB 3 and they worked fine and recognized the device, but when I plugged it into the USB 2 nothing happened. It didn't seem to get any power to the device. When I plugged it back into the USB 3 ports it didn't give me any sign that something was connected to the port. I didn't get a "can't recognize device message" or anything like that, it just didn't work. In the case of my External Hard Drive I plugged it into the USB2, nothing happened, and then plugged it into my USB 2 at the back, and now it's getting power, but the computer just isn't connected to the device. I tried in on my other PC, where it normally works fine, but it doesn't connect to it either (still showing that it has power too). In the case of my iPod nothing happened when I plugged it into the USB2 port, so I moved it to the USB3 where it shows that its got power, but it doesn't connect to the PC or iTunes. When I plug it into my radio, it tells me that the iPod is plugged in, but doesn't charge the iPod like it used to.

I'm really worried that I've fucked up my iPod and External Hard Drive here. Any suggestions to see if I can get them to work otherwise?

Thanks guys.

OK. that is strange. if it makes you feel (slightly) better it wouldn't be your friend who.connected it. unless they are individual pin connectors. it'd have to be corsair wiring power/connectors wrong to cause damage. and as i said they are pretty squared away.obviously don't plug anything new into them till you figure it out. don't want to.ruin anything else

Solution

lopesian

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Ok, so I'm really sorry for bringing back an old thread, and I also understand that my question doesn't really belong in this sub-board, but please bear with me. Has it ever been reported that a virus could cause unrecoverable damage to USB Devices or USB Ports? I know that I had the "stdrt.exe" virus a couple of days ago (my brother installed some programs he got from torrents), but it has since then been removed, and my computer has been scanned clean by 3 anti-virus programs. Could that perhaps be the issue? Also, I really hate to be redundant and annoying, but does anyone know of a way to repair these USB devices that don't work? I can't charge my iPod any more, and the data I had on my External Hard Drive can't be accessed at all (from any computer).

Thanks again,
Lopesian

TRENDING THREADS