Sign in with
Your question

AMD 955 running at 800mhz - Already searched

Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2010 8:24:19 PM

Hi all, I just purchased a brand new AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz processor. I installed it on my Asus M3N-HT motherboard. But before I installed it i updated the BIOS to the latest one from the ASUS website; version 3002. Ive already checked my CPU on the compatibility list and I am positive it works fine. After installing, the computer boots fine, bios shows 3.2Ghz, everything is fine. Boot into Windows 7, run CPU-Z, and its only showing 800Mhz with a 4.0x multiplier. The HT is at 2000 and the FSB and voltages of the CPU are at stock levels. Went into BIOS again, turned off Cool N Quiet, changed the multipliers around, still no change. The system, Dxdiag, and BIOS all notice the change in Ghz and shows the desired 3.2Ghz , but CPU-Z doesn't. Tried running a game in a window with CPU-Z running in the background, hoping for changes due to Cool N Quiet, no changes whatsoever. Cool N Quiet is off, CPU is compatible with the motherboard, motherboard is updated to latest BIOS, still to no avail.

This is frustrating, hope i didnt get a faulty CPU :fou: 
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 27, 2010 8:34:11 PM

You really failed with that search. In fact, this problem is a sticky in the forum you posted in :) 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277716-28-showing-cor...

It's AMD Cool n quiet. This is normal. It reduces CPU speed and voltages in order to reduce power when your computer is idle or not working hard enough to need the power. It can be disabled in the bios. More details in the link above.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 27, 2010 11:28:03 PM

Might be power savings within windows.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2010 11:36:09 AM

enzo matrix said:
You really failed with that search. In fact, this problem is a sticky in the forum you posted in :) 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277716-28-showing-cor...

It's AMD Cool n quiet. This is normal. It reduces CPU speed and voltages in order to reduce power when your computer is idle or not working hard enough to need the power. It can be disabled in the bios. More details in the link above.

He said that he disabled Cool n Quiet.

If the system is showing the real readings, maybe CPU-Z is having trouble?
m
l
May 31, 2010 5:37:27 PM

Disabling Cool N Quiet made no difference. The games I played before ran better on my Athlon I than what I have now. That is sad :heink: 
m
l
!