Sign in with
Your question

Fan filter on radiator?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2013 4:07:18 PM

Hi

I am new as you can see. im also new to watercooling as well. I am looking to buy a budget kit to start and hopefully it will be here in a few days. I just saw this on eBay and im consider buying it since it makes sense(to me anyway). Sorry dont know it is ok to use links in here but if posting links is not allowed please dont ban me :( 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=13...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=13...

my question is will the filter cause problem for the radiator in terms of cooling performance?i mean will it massive hit?because I dont want to having to drain the system and clean out blocked dusts every 3 months or so. and i think £10 delivered is a good deal? i wanna buy silverstone ones but they are pretty expensive on their own and no filter, with expensive shipping from Scan and im not sure it will be that good considered the price difference and they both run at 1200rpm. and the fan is branded from what i can see, rather then other "LED 2.99 fan" LOL so i think it's ok for the kit?i like all the freebies though.

i have used the tradition pci blower that blows out of the back, they are pretty useless and loud in my view. the pci fan bracket i think it's pretty effective from what it claim? because I only bought the gpu block rather then a whole block that covers the entire graphics card. will it be worth while to spend these extra £20 or so?

My build:

CPU block
chipset block
gpu block
120 rad
res+pump

my pc is rather old though Q6600+P45+HD7850. wanna squeeze out some extras before upgrading the whole platform hence the litttle investment on a WC kit. you guys know what i mean :D 

More about : fan filter radiator

a c 190 K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 5:54:21 PM

I'd up the radspace on it and lose the chipset block
What kit have you bought btw?
The W/c sticky up top is full of handy tips and info/links for newcomers,
Filters will help keep your rads cleaner but you will still need to defluff every now and then, I don't see any issues filtering rads although I don't personally have filters on anything

January 24, 2013 6:00:21 PM

The chipset block is a waste of time - it'll hurt you more than help you. A single 120 rad isn't much - you'll need to run good fans (not cheap ebay ones) to handle both CPU and GPU blocks, and even with awesome fans at high speed, you may find you need more rad space - particularly if the rad isn't a high-spec one.

Have you read the sticky?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277130-11-read-firs...
Related resources
January 25, 2013 5:33:33 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I'd up the radspace on it and lose the chipset block
What kit have you bought btw?
The W/c sticky up top is full of handy tips and info/links for newcomers,
Filters will help keep your rads cleaner but you will still need to defluff every now and then, I don't see any issues filtering rads although I don't personally have filters on anything

hi

unfortunately im having a coolermaster(forgot which model) with only 1 120mm fan exit at the back hence the limited rad option. i have a friend coming over for holiday from china and he got me one of this kit. syscooling sp13 for about 50 quid. i thought its more or less mid-high air cooling price range i thought i give it a go on my ancient system like i mentioned above. i try to cost down and save up for a proper new rig maybe later this year. will post some pictures and details when it arrives :sol: 
January 25, 2013 5:36:19 AM

Meoricin said:
The chipset block is a waste of time - it'll hurt you more than help you. A single 120 rad isn't much - you'll need to run good fans (not cheap ebay ones) to handle both CPU and GPU blocks, and even with awesome fans at high speed, you may find you need more rad space - particularly if the rad isn't a high-spec one.

Have you read the sticky?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277130-11-read-firs...

yes i have read the sticky, i just want to gather opinion on these additional add-ons thats all. i want to keep it relatively quiet and because the unit is in my bedroom and most of the time i have it on 24 hrs so quiet is key hence the little investment in this WC kit.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 6:33:38 AM

If you want quiet then over-radding and slow fans is your path, trust me on this :) 
Now you are getting a Cm case with only one exhaust grill? no problem, let me introduce you to a friend of mine, externally mounted radiators...

Even though my case can take a 360 inside, I didn't want any rads inside the case so I mounted the first rad (RX240) on the roof, the tubing goes through the roof into the case and the fans are on a controller modded into the roof as well,
the chipset block as mentioned is bad, the kit you are getting is very bad and will not give you either good temps, silence or reliability and really is not suitable for expansion at all,
if you can dissuade your friend from getting it please do, if not then you are going to have to find a way to avoid insulting his gift :p 
the basic kits we recommend are Xspc kits, swiftech are coming out with an expandable kit as well but I'm not up on those as they aren't on the market yet and I would even recommed a H100 over the kit you linked (H100 is an allinone kit and we don't class those as 'real' W/c)
I'll wait for your pics though and see what we can do, meantime keep re-reading that sticky, its full of wisdom :) 
Moto
January 26, 2013 6:26:43 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
If you want quiet then over-radding and slow fans is your path, trust me on this :) 
Now you are getting a Cm case with only one exhaust grill? no problem, let me introduce you to a friend of mine, externally mounted radiators...
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Tomsdiagrams/IMAG0325.jpg

that is really cool setup you got there moto!well i wish im that DIY capable as you are. I want to keep the setup inside the case to keep it more mobile friendly when i move houses or something. or perhaps i will install it at the back where the only 120 exit is with fan inside and rad outside and another fan behind it for push-pull config so i should have from inside the case fan/case/rad/fan. not disrespect i know your setup is much more optimal for cooling etc. but i like to keep it neat and tidy you know what i mean? ;) 

also using the setup im intended to do will it really bring that much benefit in terms of cooling?i mean compare
inside the case fan/case/rad/fan
vs
inside the case fan/rad/fan/case
If the difference is not huge i think i will just have the complete setup inside the case rather then 2 tubes going out the back.

about the setup i told him to get me the kit without the NB block that brings down the price to about 40 quid(included extra haggling and other bits) so i think i will give it a go anyway for that price. if it's really that bad i will just buy a complete kit later with a brand new build.looking to OC the Q6600 to 3.6Ghz hopefully. using stock atm and 3Ghz to be on the cooler side of thing.

thanks for your advice in advance.
January 26, 2013 7:04:45 AM

If your getting that kit anyway, run a little bit of anti-corrosive coolant in it, as it has mixed metals (copper and alloy blocks/rads) which will corrode over time without something to stop it
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 7:24:16 AM

**that is really cool setup you got there Moto**
Oh you haven't seen half of it lol, :p 
We're always around for advice and silly ideas :) 
Moto
January 26, 2013 9:42:03 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
**that is really cool setup you got there Moto**
Oh you haven't seen half of it lol, :p 
We're always around for advice and silly ideas :) 
Moto

will love to see it sometime.

another thing.i just noticed the rad from that kit is made of aluminium rather then copper. it is suppose to be more resistant to oxidation right? also even if copper rad it has a top coating to stop oxidation so cooling efficiency is more or less the same right? or is there a huge difference?

don't know if you have seen the kit yet, it doesn't have a dedicated res, does it really matter?does it bring any benefit in terms of cooling?
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 10:03:44 AM

It may be more resistant to rusting but it reacts with the copper in the blocks and corrodes them, google galvanic corrosion for some idea of what it can do :p 
and no, res/pump combo's or seperate res, theres no difference until you have a large amount of reservoir space which increases the time taken to equalise the liquid's temperature, at extreme levels you can benefit from increased mass but its 3'c area so not massive gains
as for mine,

I also have a waterchiller that I'm modding into the equation but thats not permanent yet
Moto
January 26, 2013 2:35:31 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
It may be more resistant to rusting but it reacts with the copper in the blocks and corrodes them, google galvanic corrosion for some idea of what it can do :p 
and no, res/pump combo's or seperate res, theres no difference until you have a large amount of reservoir space which increases the time taken to equalise the liquid's temperature, at extreme levels you can benefit from increased mass but its 3'c area so not massive gains
as for mine,
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/Tomsdiagrams/IMAG0564.jpg
I also have a waterchiller that I'm modding into the equation but thats not permanent yet
Moto

THAT IS A JUICY SETUP!!! :love:  :love:  :love: 
thanks for all the help and info all the way. will post some info and pictures when i get the kit. maybe i will start a new thread then :pt1cable: 

will PM you for more help if you dont mind :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 2:39:26 PM

No problem man, I'm always on hand for tidying cables/tubing and modding the hell out of anything that ain't moving,
and thank you for the compliment :) 
Moto
!