Sign in with
Your question

Ram overclocking Issue, since changing to Intel platform

Last response: in Overclocking
January 24, 2013 5:35:36 PM

I recently upgraded my machine I went from an AMD Phenom II X4 945 To a Intel I5 3470 Ivy series(see below for more info). My Phenom had locked multiplier, so the overclocking I did on the cpu was by raising the FSB and lowering the multiplier some to adjust for ram speed. After raising the MHZ on my cpu , the optimal Ram speed end up being 1333MHZ with the timings at 7-7-7-20.

Even though my I5-3470 is not the best CPU out there for overclocking it still has some head room, and can be increased by simply raising the multiplier. It currently runs great at 4.0GHZ with the ram set to stock 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24. Now since I was able to overclock using the multiplier and my Ram MHZ was not effected I started to attempt to find the optimal Overclock settings for my Ram obviously dropping it to what I was using on my Phenom (1333MHZ 7-7-7-20) woulds be pointless, and I have read of alot of people using the same ram getting some lower latency timings at 1600MHZ with a simple voltage increase on the ram. However I have had zero luck every attempt to change the latency in the slightest has resulted in crashes before even entering windows most the time. Since I have been on AMD platforms for so long, I am hoping for some suggestions, or some ideas on what I could be doing wrong, or options to try. Really I would love to just tighten up the timings if anything with the stock 1600MHZ if possible.

My system specs are:
CPU: I5-3470 Ivy
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5V
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro 3
GPU: Gigabyte 7870 (not that its important)

Thanks in advance, Toms Community Rocks,
:sol:  Devil
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2013 7:19:07 PM

did you put the uefi settings on that intel board same as the user manual tell page 46-47 - 48 or ajust them manually to see if you could gain something .
m
l
!