Where is JP1 on the motherboard of a Dell Dimension 2400?

Pia Windwolf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
The computer tech put passwords on my Boot and System and did not tell me what they were. When I called him he had not written them down and had forgotten them. His next appt. time is 11-27 and I can't wait that long. I have cancelled the check that I wrote to him I am so pissed at what he did.

My problem that I had for his reason for doing this is that someone had hacked into my computer. My brother has been more help with this than this tech was.

I am disabled and can't take it anywhere until someone comes here. Please help me find this.

Thanks. Pia

FOr the boot BIOS password - you can reset it by clearing the CMOS (either by using the clear CMOS jumper on the MOBO or by removing all power and the CMOS battery and then pressing the start button - and reinstalling the betteries (CMOS and laptop) and then it should boot and not have a password set (then you can enter a new Password that you'll remember)

For the system password --- are you talking about a user password or the admin password ? (ie. does you OS have different user accounts or are you using just the admin account ?

If you are using a user account and know the admin password (or if there is not a set admin password) you can log in as the admin and use that account to reset your user password. If you mean the Admin account and do not have another admin acount that you can access then you will need to reinstall windows if you can not get the password ! (since it is doubtful the tech actuall went through the trouble to make you a password reset disk if he didn't bother to tell you the password !)

From window support website :

If you've forgotten your Windows password and you're on a domain, you should contact your system administrator to reset your password. If you're not on a domain, you can reset your password by using a password reset disk or by using an administrator account.

If you forget the administrator password and don't have a password reset disk or another administrator account, you won't be able to reset the password. If there are no other user accounts on the computer, you won't be able to log on to Windows and will need to re-install Windows.