Computer doesnt always start up.

Belial_p

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Hello gents

Im having serious trouble starting up my comp those days. It takes up to six or seven tries somtimes before it actually boots up. When running everything seems to be working properly.

Also, usually, when the comp works fine, all 3 keyboard LEDs light up right after power up, when it refuses to start up, all 3 LEDS keep blank. The only way to power cycle it is then to press the power button, or directly the one on the PSU because the reset button wont work.

Heres a list of what I have done so far.

- Swapped RAM cards with others - Same result
- Re-plugged every cable coming out of the PSU - Same result
- Tried to unplug, HDD and DVD drives - Same result.
- Restored BIOS defaults although i made only minor adjustements to it, no overcloaking- same result
- Had the PSU tested in a comp store - It seems to be OK.
- Changed the mobo through warranty - Same result
- Re-seated my video card and removed static electricity, if any - same result

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to try now... Can someone help plz?

Intel E8400
ASUS P5Q Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
2 gigs of Corsair DDR2 SDRAM
PSU is a Fortron Blue Storm 500W

Thats pretty much it as HDD and ODD's dont seem to be the culprits. No fancy PCI card, onboard AC '97. And yes that PC is grounded.

Thx in advance.

Either motherboard failure, or PSU failure, but I'm betting on the motherboard. When you have leaky capacitors it can take a few tries before they operate will enough to allow the system to POST. Check to see if you have leaky or bulging capacitors, or if any area of your motherboard looks burned.

Belial_p

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Thats a good idea! How could I forget to check that out?

Sadly I just checked and neither the mobo, graphic card or PSU seem to have bulging capacitors.

Belial_p

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
My bad, it is in fact a Blue Storm II. Anyway, I too tend to think it is PSU related from what I read here and there.

Theres some dust I cant get rid of inside of it, not on fans axis but on components themselves. Couldnt that just be the cause?

Thanks for replies everyone. :)

Belial_p

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
During one of my numerous reboots the PSU stopped working all together so I had to buy a new one.

Comp is now working. So I can confirm PSU was the cause as you people pointed out.

Cheers!