When could we expect budget 6-core Intel Processors?

rmarier83

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
At the moment there is only the Extreme Edition 6core. Since AMD has released theirs at a MUCH lower price (despite the fact they aren't as technically good as Intel's) Intel is going to want to release their non-EEs as soon as possible, as to keep that part of the market.
I may benefit having the Intel CPUs over the AMDs since each core has hyperthreading. I do A LOT of video encoding and some rendering in 3DS max, and this eats up a lot of my CPU time (I have a Core2Quad ATM).

Never. They will never release them. Muhahahaha.
But seriously... never. By the time they do, sandy bridge will be released on a whole new platform. And Intel has managed to keep on top with their overpriced quad cores. Now that the i7 980X is $1000, if they were to release anything else lower, they would have to bump down the prices of their quad cores. And why do that if business is booming and Sandy Bridge CPUs are being released on a new platform next year?
Let's see if my prediction comes true and they never release affordable 6-cores on the 1366 platform. If so, I would hazard a guess at affordable 6-cores being released in 2012. Unless bulldozer from AMD provides enough competition forcing intel to release better CPUs at lower prices.

If you aren't happy with your Core 2 quad's performance, I think you might have to wait a lot longer. Or look into a server platform if you really can use all the CPU cores. You can get lower clocked quad cores from both AMD and Intel. Get two of them and put them in a server motherboard with two sockets. 8 cores. AMD also has 12 core CPUs. So if your programs really are efficient at multi-threading, you can sacrifice individual core performance and get a 24-core system. Those CPUs are more expensive though. Although, not as expensive as the 980X.

If you really aren't happy with your current performance, I'd start saving now, wait a year for AMD Zambezi and Intel's Sandy Bridge and see how the performance is. I think Sandy bridge are improved versions of the current i7 processors on 32nm. From what I gather, Zambezi will have up to 8-cores and improve greatly on ALU performance. Something about modules and each module appearing as two cores but having two ALU units and one FPU unit.

rmarier83

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
Too bad the AMD server CPUs I'm seeing on newegg has their core clocks kind of too low for me. Can you overclock server CPUs? This is because I use software that isn't multithreaded and needed the higher-clock of at least 2.5 GHz.
Also, when needed is there a way to have it so you're using only 1 CPU instead of two, as a way of easier upgrading and making the computer more energy effecient. Would 500 watts be enough for the 2 CPUs?

I don't quite understand what you mean by using one CPU instead of two. You can just put one CPU in a server board, but then there is usually no point in that over the desktop equivalent. Why would you want to put in two CPUs and only use one? And what does that have to do with upgrading?

If the software you are using isn't multi-threaded in the first place, then why would you think hyperthreading would improve performance for you? Why would you think you even need 6 cores if it isn't multi-threaded software?

Yes, 500W will be fine in most cases. Provided you don't add in a power-hungry graphics card.

loneninja

Distinguished
I think Intel is releasing a cheaper 6 core, but it'll still be a $500+ part if not more. They have no reason to release a "budget" 6 core, they don't even have a budget I7 yet. If they release a cheaper 6 core, they need to drop prices on a large portion of their line up, and when they sell fine as they are, there is no reason to.

Why server? The Phenom II X6 1090T should work perfectly, for $300 it a steal for six cores.
I was going to suggest that. But then the OP said he thought he would benefit from hyperthreading. Now we learn he won't, since he now says none of his programs are multi-threaded.

Could someone with experience with 3DSMax and video encoding tell us what the real deal is?

rmarier83

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone, but yeah 3dsmax and using MeGUI for video encoding are multi"threaded". All the other power hungry apps I use are at most use up to around 2 cores (games). I don't play any modern games though, and my single video card is already sufficient.
Also the reasoning for getting the 1 CPU instead of 2, has to do with how much money I'd have at the time. Then get another when my funds increase, so it's good to know that I can upgrade like that.
Lastly, for the sake of being energy-effecient, when the computer doesn't require the power of both CPUs will it do anything (kind of like AMD's CoolNQuiet) and work off only one CPU?

Oh I see what you are asking now. No. They don't do that.

Try Anandtech's benchmarks for 3dsmax r9 . Much easier to use than THG's, BTW :p. Anyway, looks like the i7-920 outscores the 1090T on quite a few of the 3dsmax benchies, both at stock speeds.

croweater

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
The AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (running at 2.8Ghz) costs around $200. If Intel releases a 2.8Ghz Hex Core gulftown for around $300, I am sure there will have a lot of willing buyers.

Does anybody know if Intel has lost market share since the release of the AMD Phenom II X6 processors?

AMD continues to lose CPU market share to Intel
Scott Bicheno - 29 Apr 10, 12:12pm

Market researcher IDC has released its figures for the Q1 global CPU market and they make good reading for the industry on the whole, with a 39 percent rise in shipments compared to the first quarter of 2009.

A look at the breakdown between the vendors reveals AMD is unlikely to be getting out the bubbly as it confirms that it has lost a fair bit of market share to Intel in that period.

In Q1 2009, AMD had 22.3 percent of the overall global PC CPU market, but a year later that has shrunk to 18.8 percent. While AMD has maintained a healthy 28 percent share of the desktop market, declines in both the mobile and server markets are what has led to the decline.

There was a decline in shipments from Q4 2009, but as Shane Rau, director of PC CPU research at IDC explained, that's to be expected. "PC processor shipments typically decline around 7 to 8 percent going from fourth quarter to first quarter. A decline of 5.6% is modest and wouldn't mean much by itself. However, after the huge rise in shipments we saw in the fourth quarter, it adds more credibility to market recovery and that the PC industry anticipates improvement in PC end demand in 2010."

From the charts, it looks like AMD has dropped marketshare across the board in desktop (down by nearly 2% since a year ago), mobile is down nearly 3% in the same timeframe, and the all-important server market, down by nearly 1% over the year. Of course, this is only through March 31st of this year, and the X6 didn't release until after that. We'll have to wait probably until September to see marketshare reports for this quarter, which ends June 30, and that should give some indication on whether the X6 has set AMD's desktop sales on fire. My guess is - probably not gonna happen. AMD's best chance to regain marketshare is going to be Bulldozer.

IIRC AMD used to say they needed at least 30% marketshare to survive, but that was before they bought ATI.

I don't quite understand what you mean by using one CPU instead of two. You can just put one CPU in a server board, but then there is usually no point in that over the desktop equivalent. Why would you want to put in two CPUs and only use one? And what does that have to do with upgrading?
Usually, there is no point. BUT if you want ECC,etc you *MAY* want in a 1P set up you pretty much have to go the server board route. I do agree, in you may as well spend the extra money and get a 2P.

Could someone with experience with 3DSMax and video encoding tell us what the real deal is?
3DS Max (at least the mental ray engine AFIK) is multi threaded and benefit from more cores up to a certain point (I think up to 24 cores/threads in the 2011 version, more cores after this won't offer more performance for most users). And yes, I use 3DS.

Well, SpeedStep is available. For most cases, electricity is cheap enough you won't save much money from using a 1P set up compared to a 2P Nehalem based set up. For modern PCs, the GPU (ie GTX 480, 5870) uses much more power than the CPU. Also, do realize there are 60W Nehalem-EP CPUs available (this is not worth the price premium over the non EP imo).

You were insulted by me saying "pay attention"? You must be a woman, or a very sensitive man. LOL
And you must be a sexist. I can't believe you just said that.

I wont be XXXX in the future if you promise not to be a moron.
The insults just keep coming don't they? You couldn't just leave it alone?

It's not my fault if you can't comprehend the title of the thread which clearly states "Intel".
Yes, but your post did not clearly state intel.

And if you are so sensitive you can't handle someone telling you to pay attention, well then stay away from this forum.:sleep:
If you can't just drop it, then stay away from the forum. Oh wait... that's not my place to tell you that. Oh wait... it's not yours either.