Updated Phenom II X955 build

Hey im building a new X4 955 pc that i will use for gaming. I have a $1200 budget and was wondering if theres any of these parts i should change.
This is my first build so i appreciate all advice...

CPU: Phenom II X955 ( with Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ultra Quiet CPU fan)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4, Socket-AM3
GPU:Sapphire HD5870 1GB GDDR5
RAM:Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9
PSU: Corsair TX 750W (i know this is overkill but i got a really good deal)
23" Samsung 1920X1080 monitor
Antec 900 case

im not bothering with the Harddrive and dvd drive as i can get these cheap

please tell me if im leaving something out as i usually do :D
13
answers
Last reply
More about updated phenom x955 build
  1. Are you overclocking?? Iv not heard great things about the Heat Sink that comes with the CPU but i may be wrong about that guess thats your call.

    Also i personally have had rather bad experiaences with samsung monitors/displays. But that again might be my bad luck.
  2. thanks will look into heatsink although i dont think ill be oc in the near future, i can always upgrade if i need to. would u recommend another monitor with a $250 budget?
  3. If you want to overclock I would recommend looking at a bigger 120mm fan solution like a XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE 120mm Rifle as the Antec 900 certainly has room for it. If you don't do alot of burning then a cheap DVD burner is fine, but you may want to look into a retail version vs an OEM simply for the bundled software ^_^. As for the Hard Drive, don't just get a cheap hard drive, get a good one. A quality hard drive makes a difference in things like OS loading, game loading, level loading, and the experience in continuously loading games like Gothic 3 or Oblivion.
  4. I got Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with my AMD Phenom II x4 955 and I idle around 29-30c.
    I don't know if the xigametk is any better but definately get something with a 120mm fan.
  5. I've found Samsung to be one of the better LCD panel manufacturers, if you've got one you like I don't know that there's a compelling reason to switch. That being said, if you provided the model number, people might be able to provide more informed commentary.

    RAM that is CL7 is generally considered to be a better buy than CL9. Also, you would probably be better off with 4 GB of RAM, as the AMD chips are dual-channel (as are a majority of Intel chips). 6 GB is overkill for gaming, and unless you're achieving that with 4 chips (2x2 and 2x1), you're going to slow things down unnecessarily. Try something like this G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 MHz CL7 4 GB kit for $115 with free shipping.
  6. That RAM kit is not a good choice for your system. The first problem with it is that it's a triple channel kit designed for Intel LGA 1366 systems. It will run in single channel on your system. The other problem is that it's slow CAS 9 1333MHz RAM. You can get a nice CAS 7 dual channel kit for a good price.

    Here's a nice CAS 7 1333MHz kit:

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $109.99

    Here's an even better deal on a CAS 7 1600MHz kit for $5 more:

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail $114.99

    Edit: Coldsleep beat me to it. :)
  7. fastx21 said:
    I got Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with my AMD Phenom II x4 955 and I idle around 29-30c.
    I don't know if the xigametk is any better but definately get something with a 120mm fan.


    thanks found a cheap hyper 212 plus looks all good
  8. shortstuff_mt said:
    That RAM kit is not a good choice for your system. The first problem with it is that it's a triple channel kit designed for Intel LGA 1366 systems. It will run in single channel on your system. The other problem is that it's slow CAS 9 1333MHz RAM. You can get a nice CAS 7 dual channel kit for a good price.

    Here's a nice CAS 7 1333MHz kit:

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $109.99

    Here's an even better deal on a CAS 7 1600MHz kit for $5 more:

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail $114.99

    Edit: Coldsleep beat me to it. :)


    would this be a better choice

    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL7

    im living i ireland so it can be hard to get good parts for cheap :(
  9. Yes, that kit will work just fine.
  10. thanks for the help!
  11. thanks for the help!
  12. Mnms67 said:
    would this be a better choice

    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL7

    im living i ireland so it can be hard to get good parts for cheap :(


    Yes, that's a better choice. Of course, if it's twice as expensive, you shouldn't bother. But if it's relatively close to the price of the original kit, it's recommended.
  13. coldsleep said:
    I've found Samsung to be one of the better LCD panel manufacturers, if you've got one you like I don't know that there's a compelling reason to switch. That being said, if you provided the model number, people might be able to provide more informed commentary.

    RAM that is CL7 is generally considered to be a better buy than CL9. Also, you would probably be better off with 4 GB of RAM, as the AMD chips are dual-channel (as are a majority of Intel chips). 6 GB is overkill for gaming, and unless you're achieving that with 4 chips (2x2 and 2x1), you're going to slow things down unnecessarily. Try something like this G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 MHz CL7 4 GB kit for $115 with free shipping.



    I was thinking of going with either the Samsung 23" LCD Syncmaster P2370 or this LG 22" LCD W2261VP-PF both are 1920X1080
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product