flchris1988

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hello,
I have an Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard and have recently purchased the AM2CPU daughterboard expansion, giving it capabilities for an AM2 processor. Now having two possible Processor+Ram areas, is it as all possible to make use of both processors, and essentially run from two different processors(Both the AM2 and 939)? I don't think it is likely, given the age of the motherboard, but I figured I'd give it a shot for curiosity's sake.

Thanks for your time,
-Chris

It isn't even possible in modern day motherboards. AMD's AM2 and 939 CPUs are all desktop models. They do not have the necessary circuitry to allow more than one CPU on a system. That is the difference between Server and Desktop CPUs. Server CPUs like the Opteron, have that circuitry. However, they run on a different socket and require server motherboards with two or four CPU sockets.

keytthom

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
i don't know what the daughter board expansion is, but i agree that it is unlikely.

The problem is, is that to have 2 cpus, the cpu must have 2 qpi links, one to contact the os/mobo, the other to contact the other cpu.
there lies thy problemo.

no desktop cpu's have more than 1 qpi, only server cpu's have this.