Multiple CPUs?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2010 9:14:49 PM

Hello,
I have an Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard and have recently purchased the AM2CPU daughterboard expansion, giving it capabilities for an AM2 processor. Now having two possible Processor+Ram areas, is it as all possible to make use of both processors, and essentially run from two different processors(Both the AM2 and 939)? I don't think it is likely, given the age of the motherboard, but I figured I'd give it a shot for curiosity's sake.

Thanks for your time,
-Chris

More about : multiple cpus

a c 131 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2010 9:26:05 PM

It isn't even possible in modern day motherboards. AMD's AM2 and 939 CPUs are all desktop models. They do not have the necessary circuitry to allow more than one CPU on a system. That is the difference between Server and Desktop CPUs. Server CPUs like the Opteron, have that circuitry. However, they run on a different socket and require server motherboards with two or four CPU sockets.
m
l
May 27, 2010 9:28:09 PM

i don't know what the daughter board expansion is, but i agree that it is unlikely.

The problem is, is that to have 2 cpus, the cpu must have 2 qpi links, one to contact the os/mobo, the other to contact the other cpu.
there lies thy problemo.

no desktop cpu's have more than 1 qpi, only server cpu's have this.
m
l
May 27, 2010 9:34:26 PM

I didn't think it was possible, considering I didn't find anything about it online, but figured it was worth asking.

Awesome, thanks.
m
l
!