Sign in with
Your question

CompTIA A+ Certification Advice

Last response: in Networking
February 3, 2010 1:32:03 AM

Hello,

I've been looking into getting a CompTIA A+ certification, but there's one thing holding me back right now. I read somewhere that exams 220-601 and 220-602 expire this month. If I were to buy study material, it would be useless after these exams expire, right? Not sure if I should wait a few months for the new study material/exams to come out or what to do.

Also, I am aware that the CompTIA A+ certification is at best, an average certification. And after reading another thread on this forum, it seems that the MCTS and MCITP certifications (not neutral, and geared towards Microsoft only, right?) would be better, correct? I am thinking about changing my career to either help desk support or PC technician. So, I assume the ultimate question would be: what certifications, and in which order, would be best to pursue a career in this field?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Are 220-701 and 220-702 the new exams?
February 4, 2010 11:00:39 PM

I am also studding for it, but I just started on Learn Key's online expert so I am not positive but from what I have see so far is, some of the old stuff they are going to drop, like windowed 9X and i think NT,and some of the old technology. But they are going to add some of the new stuff, like Vista and new technology like HDMI ect. So I don't think the old material will be useless they just might cover something you don't need, and not have the new stuff. But most of the stuff like the basics like how a computers work and console commands haven't changed
But I herd somewhere that CompTIA A+ is totally dropping Mac and Linux OS, so it is all Windows now

Hope this helps
m
l
February 4, 2010 11:11:25 PM

Hey, thanks. From what I now understand, exams 220-601 and 220-602 will retire this month. The current exams are 220-701 and 220-702. Learn Key looks very expensive! You can easily pass the exam with something like http://www.atiatraining.com/index.html
m
l
February 4, 2010 11:34:34 PM

Yeah well I got a free account with my school, with learn key, so I couldn't pass that up :) 
m
l
!