Post your regrets.

Here should be an interesting thread:

Post any regrets you have about your current computer system. Something you would have done back when you got it, with the knowledge you have today.

I'll start. Actually, I have no regrets. Got a used Radeon 3870 for $40, got an Athlon IIx4 620 and overclocked it, Case Antec 300 is excellent and my motherboard is still happy AM2+ with 4GB of DDR2 ram, all of which I got for free and is running at 1000MHz. I don't even regret never getting any optical drive. I'll edit my post if I think of something.

I regret getting 2 9800GTX they got great performance but I should have held out a little longer and went for an ATI DX11 card but I had gotten them right before they came out. Besides that I am pretty happy with my rigs.

Regret that I didnt buy oddles of RAM when 2GB sticks were only $20. :(

No kidding.

I used a corsair CV400. A great power supply without a doubt. But I found out after the build that the 450vx, which is an almost identical PSU with a 75 watts of extra juice (which I didn't need) has Japanese caps. The 400 uses Taiwanese caps. I would have toss another Andrew Jackson in just for the better caps.

Oh well. Not like im hurting with the 400. Its still great.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Regret that I didnt buy oddles of RAM when 2GB sticks were only $20. :(

I'm on the same boat, prices of ram today are insane compared to the prices before.

The CX400 is a really good psu in itself, so you really shouldn't regret buying the thing. (It would be regrettable if the VX450 was almost the same price)

One thing I regret was not buying a 4770 before (it was a bit on sale), now it isn't available in the store that I buy parts :(.

randomkid

Distinguished

Great rig indeed.

My regret is that I never knew about Tom's Hardware Forum before I bought 2 PC's for my twin kids, 1 PC for myself.
I bought them at store's recommended configuration and I later found out it sucks. So I have to do a lot of upgrading at great expense:
1. Replaced 2x 9500GT with 2x4770
2. Replaced 8500GT with HD490
3. Replaced Athlon 64 X2 5200+ with X3 720BE.
All those replaced parts are lying idle or sold at great a loss...

AMW1011

Distinguished
I regret going cheap on the case. I learned to hate my Antec 900 over the years thanks to the cheap looking plastic and dust infestation. This was because I had sold my Silverstone TJ07 within 3 months of buying it because of financial problems. Then one day I was browsing ebay and lo-and behold a perfectly good, silver, TJ07 for $150 shipped!

I also regret not having enough money to get replace my 8800 GTS 512mbs...

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Buying a 4850 rather than a 4870 saving only about £10.

Made the decision as I only had 1 6pin PCIe connector from my power supply and the 4870 card I was getting didn't come with a 2molex to 6pin adapter. 1 week later whilst sorting out some bits I found that I already had one from the card that I was replacing.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

Couldn't there have been a "Mountain Dew Event"?

(Mountain Dew Event: Any seemingly innocent event that causes catastrophic loss of functionality to a computer system or one of it's components.)