I'm trying to choose a video card...

Frizankie

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
So I'm trying to choose a video card. Problem is, there are a million out there, and I'm not exactly sure what to look for. I'm looking to spend in the range of $100-150, and of course, I want to get the most bang for my buck. So I have a couple questions; if you have a card that you'd recommend please do so too! Please keep in mind that I'm primarily using this for gaming (Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect 2, and so on) and I want to be as sure as possible that the games will run super smoothly. Here goes:

First, is there a reason I should get Nvidia over ATI, or visa versa? I know directx 11 is only currently on the ATI cards, but does that choosing one that has it?

What core clock speed should I be looking for? 625? 700? 800?

When I look at the GDDR3 cards, most of them say the effective memory clock is between 1800 and 2200 MHz, but the GDDR5 cards usually have an effective memory clock of between 1000 and 1200MHz. That seems funky to me, because I thought GDDR5 was supposed to be faster?

Again, please suggest a card if you know of one that will work for what I'm after, and thanks so much for your help!!