How to unlock asus rampage 3 extreme

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
just got an asus rampage 3 extreme, i7 980x, and 12 gigs 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 ram but the ram is stuck at 1066 and i cant OC the ram or the cpu, im using the bios but i dont know what im doing or know what settings to use so if anybody could help me out here.

i tried using x.m.p and the first choice was the correct ram settings but when it didnt work :(

Well you've got the easiest CPU to OC, and the RAM is pretty easy.

AI Tweaker:
AI Overclocker Tuner {Auto} -> {Manual}
CPU Level Up {Auto} or select your CPU from list if available
DRAM Frequency {Auto} -> {DDR3-1600MHz}**
DRAM Timing Control hit enter -> enter ALL of your timings 9-9-9-24

DRAM Bus Volatge {Auto} -> [enter the correct spec'd voltage]

Save & Exit

Before, OC'ing your CPU - please state your exact CPU Fan. OC'ing an unlocked CPU is very simple, the complex part is configuring Turbo-Boost.

** assumes an unlocked CPU.

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

sorry i didnt mention it but no my cpu is not unlocked thats also what im trying to figure out. my bro tried to do what you said but i dont think he put the timings in right
i dont know if he was supposed to put the cas latency in first then do the 9-9-9-24 he might have set to 9-9-24-auto tried it didnt work

Huh?! It sure SHOULD be the i7 980X {$999} has an unlocked multiplier. Please post the following from CPUz http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Should look like this:
gulftownoc3.png

Clear CMOS - there must be some other bizarre issue. Also, do NOT use any ASUS Utility to OC; if you installed them uninstall them and restart.

Also, post the 'Mainboard' & 'SPD' tabs if the part-numbers are all the same then (1) will suffice. I want to double-check that the RAM is compatible and the BIOS up-to-date.

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

i MIGHT have found the problem, upon scrolling through the bios i noticed the ram voltage was at 1.508 i looked and found it supposed to be at 1.65 when at stock speeds and what nots, as i am scareds of messing with voltages after reading about people frying whatever part they messed with beyond use i would like to double check you (you know what your doing...right?) correct speeds and timings : 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 wont get fried at 1.65v yes/no ????

Maybe a problem, doubt it, and typically the RAM has an operational range of ±0.3V; especially Corsair.

But I did say "DRAM Bus Volatge {Auto} -> [enter the correct spec'd voltage]"

Where people 'fry' their PC's is by CONFUSING DRAM & CPU Voltage, but typically the MOBO's now will simply thermally shutdown and/or you'll get a Post Failure.

If you're afraid or concerned about the BIOS then I would encourage you to spend a few bucks and take it to a Computer Shop; the entire process beginning to end will take a Pro 5 minutes and they'll charge you for an hour; so make a Complete list of what you want and have them configure everything...

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

i wanna try the voltage change before i do anything else but the bios wont let me change it specifically the DRAM is set at auto but i cant do anything when i press enter nothing happens, what gives with that?

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
theres also this little thing i can access on the DRAM bus voltage called DRAM ref voltages or somthing and it got about 6 different things inside it that are set to auto and i can mess with thier voltages but they are kinda specific dont think i should mess with them

^ Correct the 8-pin is required for OC and with 'that' CPU I would strongly recommend that you use it always; I do with ANY i7 9xx.

I would strongly recommend that you look at the AI section of the Manual. Also, you can play ALL you want in the BIOS, I suggest that you do...just don't save and exit if you're 'exploring.'

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

are you saying that the 8pin is the problem with the ram?

i read in the manual and it says i can store a copy of the bios on a usb in case the bios on the mobo get corrupted, does this mean if i tried to flash the bios and it got bricked i could fix it with the bios on the usb or no?

Hmm, doubt it - 8-pin.

Recovery of a 'Bad Flash' can 'sometimes' be recovered with ASUS MOBO; however, I would really like it better if they copied GA's dual-BIOS.

Your MOBO has both, as I recall, MEMOK and Clear CMOS - I would try the Clear CMOS option before 're-flashing' your MOBO.

Q - What version of BIOS do you have? -> per above "Also, post the 'Mainboard' & 'SPD' tabs if the part-numbers are all the same then (1) will suffice. I want to double-check that the RAM is compatible and the BIOS up-to-date."

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

i have no idea how to get any of that information.

i did look in the mobo manual and it doesnt say anywhere that it supports a 12gig set of corsair ram

my brother suggested trying it at 1333 so just a minute ago i left it on auto set the DRAM at 1333 didnt mess with the voltage or timings it booted heres a pic of cpu-z
can i in anyway hurt my ram by doing this?

clipboard01fhnyhn.jpg

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

i have 3 four gig sticks of corsair dominator xms 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

i also googled how to find out my bios version and went looking into system tools and found something that says : SMbios version 2.5 and the version/date says 7/16/10

as for the undervolting i dont know, cpu refreshes every little bit and says something different somtimes it'll be at 1.244 and goes down to 0.986

Forget XMS....never worked for me

Follow this:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

and read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-980x-efficiency,2590.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-980x-efficiency,2590-8.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1602622/intel-core-i7-980x-mainboards

BTW, all that fancy hardware and CAS9 RAM ? If ya can still return would suggest something w/ less latency
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226121

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

after looking at your pic of cpu-z it shows you at x25 multiplier and 3341mhz while mine only says x12 multiplier and 1600mhz is my 980x like in low power mode or somthing or did i accidnetally underclock it and it cant handle the ram at higher speeds? because that might explain me idling at 15C and gaming at 30 <-- nvm this i launched a game while monitering cpu-z and it gets upped to the x26 multiplier my bro had set it to 3.4 for me as a test i thought he broke it lol

also how much does cas 9 rm really affect gaming vs cas 7 ram

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
what exactly is the problem when i set at 1600mhz and stock setting and whatnots in bios save it and has it starting up, what causes it to have a blank screen?

also when i try to boot with the ram at stock theres a little light next to the dimms that is yellow that is supposed to be green when everything is working fine

wiro67

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
ok i noticed that your memory in cpu-z is running at Single channel
when comparing it to my screeny its in triple channel.

try to disable intel speedstep technology in the bios it will run the processor at its full speed

look in the manual and put the 3 dimms into the orange slots (A1-B1-C1) for triple channel

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

well there already in the red slots but i cant put them in the a1-b1-c1 because of my heatsink :(

*EDIT* actually nevermind that, i went in the manual i have the dimms in a1 b1 c1 lucky me? cause theres no way in hell there gonna fit in a2 b2 c2 with that v6
what was that about intel speedstep? it seems to speed up when playing a game perhaps its just saving power?