Gaming/Graphics Help Needed Please

Raziel317

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hi

I am new to the forums and looking for some help on a concern with my pc. Basically I can getting, well lets say less than the results I expected from setup I have. I will run down my systems then my concerns, I hope you will be able to advise.

Intel i7 running Overclocked to 4gz
6GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
150GB Raptor HDD for OS
1TB Seagate HDD for game
250 Samsung HDD for storage
Nvidia GTX 295 Gainward Graphics card Overclocked (screen resolution 1900x1200)
Acer 24" Monitor
Cosair 850W Sli ready Modular PSU.

I am not sure anything else will help but thats the main setup, the thing is, it sounds or looks as if it sounds impressive but everything I run gives and average performance. I was looking at the overclocking stats on Crysis and my system runs an average of 10 to 20 fps slower. I am getting spikes in many games when there is too much on screen I cant run anything, well ok older games maybe, but all new or newish stuff runs well ok but I would expect more than ok from that setup. I read reviews etc on the card before I brought it and many people were saying everying is max and runs smooth etc. I just don't get this result if I put all things max I get 30 fps max.

I have just installed and played the Just Cause 2 demo and everything on max on that and max was 27 fps. I set it to default and was getting max 45 but average was low 30's. I get much worse in say Star Trek Online when there are alot of nps'c and effects going of like 16fps. I played batman and in certain areas I get 30-35 FPS. Am I expecting too much seeing as my res is so high or could there be something wrong?

Thanks for your time.

Julien.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Well, what OS are you running currently? Have you checked to see what your resource usage is on each program or how high your fans are running? About how long is your boot time from a cold start to the Windows desktop? What sort of performance gains do you get by lowering certain settings? Do you have the latest drivers for everything? Is your hard drive heavily fragmented? These are all very important questions you might want to try and answer before you do something drastic. My first answer would be a re-format of your entire OS, but I'd only do it after trying some basic troubleshooting first.

Raziel317

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

OS is Windows 7.

Resources seem ok, never using more than 30-40% CPU but mostly it's about 15% memory never more than 40%.

All fans are running medium of 3 settings allthough I have the GPU at 70% temps for CPU are normaly in the 50's and GPU low 60's.

Boot from switch on to ready is about a minute, from hitting enter on password 20 to 30 secs.

Yes latest drivers for all hardware.

I use Diskeeper for defraging constantly.

Thanks for your time :)

G

What CPU cooler are you running, have you checked temps of CPU when 100% load, sounds like clock throttling when at load and overclocked!

Raziel317

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

I am using a Corsair HD50 water cooler unit. CPU never gets to load but temps are normally maxed at 58-60 max. Under Orthos full load it reaches 74ish max I have seen thus far. Max for the i7 920 is 100c as I understand it.

I am leaning towards fault. I stuck a demo on this morning game crash twice at same place then the third time i got the dreaded pixels all over even when I got back to desktop. Card seems ok at the moment but I haven't run any 3D with it yet.

Raziel317

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Make that a max of 48-52, I am running Star Trek Online atm and its hitting about 20-25% load and running temps listed.