Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - Slow HDD Speed

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2012 5:23:43 AM

I just built my wife a new pc. An Asus p8h67-m pro mother board, i3 2120, 8gb memory, and I am reusing her old WD Blue hard drive. I have never had problems with it before. However, since building her new PC It has almost locked up on me once while using 7zip. I also noticed that 7zip was only achieving around a maximum of 20MBps. I know my i5 is faster...but that much faster? Running HD Tune shows her hard drive dipping down as low as .9MBps. I have just now figured out that wild swings seem to be common on the OS drive, but is it normal for it to go that low? The drive works fine while installed in my PC as far as speed is concerned. I am just a bit concerned since her PC almost locked up. I promised her this would blow her old 720BE AMD system out of the water...I am starting to regret building this.

So, do I have anything to worry about as far as the hdd is concerned? Are dips under 1MBps normal in Hd tune? Even Crystal Disk Mark was showing dismal numbers.

More about : build slow hdd speed

a c 265 G Storage
April 15, 2012 1:00:12 PM

Did you do a fresh install with format on the disk in hers or are you using the old installation?
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:49:44 PM

rolli59 said:
Did you do a fresh install with format on the disk in hers or are you using the old installation?

It is the old install. I was feeling lazy after assembly lol. I am starting to think that may be my problem though. Today I was going to try a full format and fresh install. Could I just get away with a repair though?
m
l
Related resources
a c 265 G Storage
April 15, 2012 1:56:13 PM

If you have not done repair yet then you might get away with that! Looks like you might have some driver conflicts going on.
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
April 15, 2012 2:21:03 PM

When switching MBs it is generally recommended to do a clean install (espeacially if going amd->intel).

WD Blue and green drives are not known for being speed demons, but my HDD-> Thumbdrives speeds are faster. So Most likely is a driver problem.
April 15, 2012 3:12:14 PM

Alright. Ill do that today and report back. I know the blue isn't the fastest, but transferring files should be /a were 60MB+ on average. 20MBish is a very noticeable difference.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 15, 2012 3:34:06 PM

I would also verify that your Bios is set to AHCI.
While this is always mentioned for SSDs, it is also a good idea for HDD.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:06:11 PM

RetiredChief said:
I would also verify that your Bios is set to AHCI.
While this is always mentioned for SSDs, it is also a good idea for HDD.

I did actually try that. It blue screened while Windows was trying to load. No doubt due to already having driver issues of some kind.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:25:49 PM

one_with_shadows said:
I did actually try that. It blue screened while Windows was trying to load. No doubt due to already having driver issues of some kind.

You will have to set the bios to AHCI first and then do a fresh install. That is why you are getting blue screen, I wouldn't even bother with repair (although its up to you if you want to try) I would just go with the fresh install like others said. Very high chance that that is your problem
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
April 15, 2012 4:29:44 PM

one_with_shadows said:

That happens when the OS is already installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:42:10 PM

You can sysprep the system, which will wipe out all the drivers.

C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe

Make sure you check 'Generalize', select OOBE and Reboot. Also, wmpnetwork process is known to cause fatal errors in sysprep, just stop the WMPNetworkSvc service and kill wmpnetwk.exe task in task manager if it's still there after stopping the service.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 15, 2012 5:58:54 PM

One_...
"I would also verify that your Bios is set to AHCI."
Was directed at a "Re-Install, I should have qualified. as Rolli59 pointed out, switching to ahci in Bios, without DELETING the driver in Registry first will result in BSOD when loading.
m
l
April 15, 2012 8:56:06 PM

Ah, a pain in the neck to re-install everything. The problem is gone, it has been changed to AHCI, and the difference is night and day. Thank god for the gigabit lan. I was quickly able to pull everything back off of my PC. This has been a learning experience, thank you everyone for all the help. Note to self: laziness only pays at work, never when building a new PC. :) 
m
l
April 16, 2012 6:43:57 PM

Best answer selected by one_with_shadows.
m
l
!