Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1000 CAD i5 Build

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2010 12:34:47 AM

HI guys. Gathered alot of info from this site so big kodos to everyone for responding.

here's what I'm going for.

ASUS P7P55D PRO ATX Intel Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Priced out at newegg.ca brings me to a subtotal of $1034

Have no imediate future plans to SLI or CrossFire but like to have to option open.
Current Monitor Resoultion is 1440x900

Questions:
Will the 650W PSU be enough to power the system ?
Is it require to use termal paste on the CPU? Have to plans to overclock the system. Hoping that the stock fan will be enough.

Apprieate the feed back.

Cheers!

More about : 1000 cad build

Best solution

March 19, 2010 12:45:40 AM

650w is overkill actually. You could get away with a 500w psu but I would stick with the one you have. Sli/crossfire at that resolution would not help you much. 2x cards are much more efficient at the higher resolutions.

I would recommend the hyper 212+ $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Use google products..I think it is on amazon for $30 shipped. It is probably the best price/performance cooler out there. In Canada you could probably run @4.2ghz with that cooler :p 

Yes, not using thermal paste or TIM will kill your cpu and probably your motherboard. The processor will come with generic TIM.
March 19, 2010 12:54:26 AM

TIM ? (sorry first time builder)

Also, using the CPU cooler you linked, does this replace using the stock heatsink and fan that comes with the CPU ?
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2010 12:58:02 AM

Also is there a preferred Thermal paste to use ?
m
l
March 19, 2010 1:00:15 AM

tmercer said:
Also is there a preferred Thermal paste to use ?

TIM= thermal paste

arctic cooling mx2 is one of the best
m
l
March 19, 2010 1:16:07 AM

Awesome thanks Cory.

So last questions. (i hope)

I buy all these parts get them home. Is there a site that I could use to look up how to install all of these componets. Assuming that the manuals don't provide enough info ?

An from above: Using the CPU cooler you linked, does this replace using the stock heatsink and fan that comes with the CPU ? And I assume you apply the thermal paste even with the linked CPU cooler ?
m
l
March 19, 2010 1:39:07 AM

Best answer selected by tmercer.
m
l
March 19, 2010 2:52:38 AM

tmercer said:
Best answer selected by tmercer.

n
n
nYes. You can find a guide on how to build your own computer online without too much trouble. If you go to your local bookstore there might be a maximum pc special issue (or any computer magazine) that will explain which parts to install first, etc, etc. The magazine will cost you $10. Honestly the first time your build a pc it might take you an extra hour, but it really isn't hard. Your just plugging stuff in basically.
n
nThe hyper 212+ will come with a fan and yes it will replace the entire stock heatsink/fan. Don't forget to use thermal paste...no matter which heatsink you decide to use. The heatsink will have instructions on how to apply the thermal paste and there are guides all over the place also.
n
nHope that helps.
m
l
!