3570k hot only at 4.2ghz

fabby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Here are my bios, i followed the asrock ivey guide, but put the cpu calibration line on 5 instead of the 2/3 it said too because I was advised too.

here are bios:
http://imgur.com/a/ZkNcD

stress test on very high for 20 runs: passed
http://i.imgur.com/Uf54kO6.png

build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zhxN

temps just seem high compared to other people i've seen with the asrock evo

usually bsod after 30 mins of gaming

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80003438036
BCP3: FFFFF880076E99E0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\012113-13072-01.dmp
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-23914-0.sysdata.xml

any help is appreciated

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I heard that ivy gets hot over 4Ghz.

Nothing is jumping out at me with your voltages.

I would remove and replace the thermal paste/make sure the cooler is installed securely.

With the BSOD's, I would consider backing off the clock speed a little also.

Two weeks ago I built an i7 3770 K desktop. I used 1/4 pea size on the CPU and spread it evenly with my finer wrapped in a sandwich bag.

I polished the base of the Hyper 212 EVO and made it flat and even. Put a 1/4 pea size quantity of AS5 on it, spread it evenly with my finger, and then assembled the two together.

My idle temps are around 30 C.

12 pea shots? Absolute overkill and in fact it will hinder heat transfer.

The excess could get all over the socket and elsewhere.

Tell him about the excessive temps. and then inform him that you were advised to re-seat the CPU/heatsink using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

Before you go and see him familiarize yourself with the procedure recommended by Arctic Silver.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

There are some other guides at this site.

fabby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
ok i was reading, btw

A modern highperformance CPU can be permanently damaged in less than 10 seconds without
proper cooling.

is it possible my cpu is damaged since the overdose of thermal paste applied to the cpu when he was mounting the heat sink to the cpu? and from what im reading hes going to have to remove paste from the heatsink as well?

cbrunnem

Distinguished
wait so you get a know hot cpu and a average to below average cpu cooler and expect great temps? dont get me wrong the evo is a good cooler but only because of its price to performance ratio. you are not going to get great temps like some do on the internet.

with that being said it does sound like there is too much thermal paste.

Your CPU is not damaged! It is like a light bulb; it will either work or not work.

And yes, he must clean the surfaces of both the CPU as well as the heatsink using alcohol swabs. Alcohol swabs are safer than liquid alcohol. If he is in the computer business (or has built computers) he should know this.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Probably not.. Even if you dump the stuff on (and yes there are test were people have done this) while it will run a few degrees hotter it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not good, but it's not OMFG IT'S GONNA BLOW! either.

Just remove, clean, reseat, and check.

fabby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
ah i see, lol i was messing with my offset in the negatives trying to get my temps lower i just didnt understand what was wrong, he was a good guy didnt charge much either, was done in an hour and ya he runs his own business. maybe he wasnt used to building mid end like this, neighborhood is pretty poor i had to save for a whilee, should i show him a mounting video as well? and do u think my temps would go down to say maybe 60s ;D the 80s hurt my eyes, even if it was on intel burn test on very high for 20 runs.

fabby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
ya good guy only charged me for an hour when it took longer than that xD
btw here are some pics http://imgur.com/a/SWkga
was gunna try and take off side door to show better but side fan is connected to psu right, woul dhave to disconect that or would it stretch

btw thanks a lot for all the help guys real quick too

Adroid

Distinguished
Are people telling you to reseat your heatsink because you are hitting 80C during IBT?

Nonesense, your temps are normal for IVY @ 4.2GHZ

Mine hit mid 80C during Prime95 @ 4.4ghz

Don't worry about touching 80C during stress tests... During normal use I expect your hover around what MAYBE 55-60C sometimes?

Dude you are fine.

Adroid

Distinguished

This guy idles around 30, I idle around 30, you idle around 30? I'm telling you welcome to Ivy bridge - hotter and faster.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

4.4 is not 4.2 and the temps go up pretty quick the higher you go.

fabby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
im also bsod just from a 4.2... lol
ya b4 when i started out on like a +0.05 i had to stop it cause it went up to 90 in 40 seconds lol only started to calm down when i went to the negatives, also i just tried running it and i got an intel test pop up with an red X but it still kept running