Need Help Not Sure What To Do

petevan1970

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I built a system about a month ago (with alot of help from you guys) and I am about done with the build (for now). I did a quick search and really did not find much. Here is my questions, with my specs below, I just bought,

Patriot Memory PGS24G6400ELK 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) Gaming Series DDR2 Pc2-6400 Enhanced Latency Dimm Kit

and I have,
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB ( 2 X 1GB ) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 CL5 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - TWIN2X2048-6400

I wanted to know if I should/could use them both, will one slow down the other, should I run them ganged or unganged and can I over clock them all or should I tweak each one individually? I play a fair amount of games and also multi-task a lot. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (Unlocked 3rd & 4th core)

Motherboard: ASRock A785GHX/128M

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB EE

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit System Builder pk

CPU Cooler: Rocketfish CPU Cooler

Solution
Some motherboards have problems with mismatched ram.

Assuming the voltage specs are the same, I would go ahead and try it. Install your 4gb as normal and check things out.

Try the extra sticks, and let things default to auto. If it works, you will have 3gb on each channel. The sticks will operate at the lowest common denominator of speeds and timings.

Do not worry about overclocking or fine tuning. It does not matter much except for synthetic benchmarks. You will get more out of the extra 2gb.
Some motherboards have problems with mismatched ram.

Assuming the voltage specs are the same, I would go ahead and try it. Install your 4gb as normal and check things out.

Try the extra sticks, and let things default to auto. If it works, you will have 3gb on each channel. The sticks will operate at the lowest common denominator of speeds and timings.

Do not worry about overclocking or fine tuning. It does not matter much except for synthetic benchmarks. You will get more out of the extra 2gb.

Solution

I don't think overclocking ram makes much difference. Overclocking the cpu may.

Once you get the cpu clocked at 3.0 or higher, game FPS is mostly limited by the graphics card.
Of course, there are a few exceptions.