Closed Solved

Absolutely No Idea What Motherboard to Buy (Core i5)

Hi guys, I am stumped

I am planning on building a Gaming comp, starting now and ending by Christmas.

I am going to buy the Core i5 760 cpu,
I was originally going to buy the ASUS P7P55D-E LX motherboard but after reading through forums I am starting to have 2nd thoughts...
basically all i wanted to ask is what motherboard would you guys recommend me to buy. I have a budget of approximately $200 USD for the motherboard.
I do not mind on what brand brand the mobo is,
and I do not need SLI/CF.

please recommend me a good board.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about absolutely idea motherboard core
  1. Best answer
    The 7P55D-E LX is a fine board and the one I'd pick as long as, as you say, you are forever going to stick with singel GFX card.

If you think that one day you might want to add a 2nd two GFX cards, I'd suggest avoiding the 1156 boards from Gigabyte based upon the following THG article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-performance,2490-2.html

Quote:
    Gigabyte’s P55A-UD4P cuts costs by using the processor’s PCIe 2.0 connections to host its high-bandwidth controllers. Two of the primary graphics card’s 16 PCIe lanes supply its USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, and Gigabyte disables six more lanes to make the upper slot an effective x8 interface. The USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers revert to the chipset’s 2.5 GT/s lanes whenever two graphics cards are installed, to preserve the x8 transfers each graphics card needs for optimal CrossFire or SLI performance.

Thus, users with a single graphics card must sacrifice half of its peak bandwidth to enable 5.0 Gb transfers to the USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers, while those with two cards must live with 2.5 Gb/s bandwidth limits on USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s controllers. Neither of these sacrifices is huge or even noticeable on most of today’s hardware, yet anyone trying to future-proof their system could be left cold.

Personally, I have been going with the Sabertooth on all recent 1156 builds but it seems today, it's only available in combo deals.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131601
  2. oh ok thanks
  3. Best answer selected by Knyte_Rydah.
  4. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Core Intel i5