Sign in with
Your question

Verbatim HC-MicroSd class4 write protected

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2012 2:07:55 PM

Dear Friends,

I have got this microSD and I used to keep it in my Nokia mobile phone.

Suddenly card appeared undetected from my mobile, so with an adapter I put it in my PC and found it unable to write or format. :non: 

- My mobile still reads any onther sd card
- An error "attrib.exe unable to write" appears on MicroSD when inserted into PC
- MicroSD card actually works good in reading in my PC

Any idea?

:love:  Every suggestion will be highly appreciated. :bounce: 
a b G Storage
April 15, 2012 3:10:04 PM

Flash cards/drives do wear out over time. The most typical symptom of "wearing out" in an SD card is the controller going into a write-protect state.

Meaning, the controller is protecting the data from corruption, so you can retrieve it and copy elsewhere.
If I understand right; you can read the data from the card yet not write, then I highly suspect that's what's happening here. Hopefully the card is still under warranty and you can RMA it for a new one (after copying your data off of it :)  ). If it's out of warranty, then it's time to throw that away and get a replacement.

EDIT: as a last ditch effort, you can try to reformat the card with the SD Association formatter application (this will delete all data on the card)
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
This will work on any SD card, regardless of manufacturer.
Within the app I suggest opening "options" and setting format to "Full - Erase" and realign file system to "yes".
If this can't format the card, then it's gone bad.
April 15, 2012 3:59:13 PM

psaus said:
Flash cards/drives do wear out over time. The most typical symptom of "wearing out" in an SD card is the controller going into a write-protect state.
EDIT: as a last ditch effort, you can try to reformat the card with the SD Association formatter application (this will delete all data on the card)
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
This will work on any SD card, regardless of manufacturer.
Within the app I suggest opening "options" and setting format to "Full - Erase" and realign file system to "yes".
If this can't format the card, then it's gone bad.

I had the SAME (exactly) problem... nothing worked (tape on adapter, Gpartition Live, and SD Association Formatter).

Any idea? Every suggestion will be highly appreciated :( 
Related resources
April 15, 2012 4:01:59 PM

Lol. I googled and reply to my same message :D 

Anyway... nothing works.. SD Association Formatter says "card is protected, remove protection"...
a b G Storage
April 15, 2012 4:03:32 PM

Unfortunately if you've tried those other tools, I suspect the card has expired/worn out. And the controller has initiated the "write protect" mode.

Because you say it's HC, I suspect it's fairly new, you should try RMAing it with Verbatim. Should be fairly easy and quick...
April 15, 2012 4:10:04 PM

Hi Psaus and thanks for answering. First of all, SD card is new (HC class4) BUT I lost my buying ticket so I couldn't apply for RMA...

Now (still googling) I'm trying Flash Card Tester 1.4 and let's see what happens. I will report on this forum for future users.

And other idea? Everything is accepted :) 
a b G Storage
April 15, 2012 4:12:45 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas. Sorry.

But I know some companies will still honor the RMA if the card is new enough (meaning, if they only started shipping the card 2 months ago, and it has a 1yr warranty, they know it's still within warranty).
Given how cheap the cards are, it's worth calling/emailing Verbatim to see. You might be surprised.. :) 
April 15, 2012 4:15:20 PM

I'll give them a try, thanks :) 
April 15, 2012 4:19:15 PM

Card tester 1.4 results

1. 00:00:42.92 - -------------------------------- New test process started --------------------------------
  2. 00:00:42.94 - Started "Reading test data" for drive F: 7577MB, "Mass, Storage Device, ^A, ", 512b
  3. 00:09:31.03 - Completed "Reading test data" for drive F: 7577MB, "Mass, Storage Device, ^A, ", 512b
  4. 00:09:31.03 - Tested total 7577.999MB in 0:08:47 with 14.358MB/s
  5. 00:09:31.03 - Total read errors: Fatal=0, Recoverable=0

mmmmm?
April 15, 2012 4:21:06 PM

This was READ test. I'm doing WRITE test right now...
April 15, 2012 4:33:15 PM

1. 9 - ! Write fatal (3/3) error at LBN = 7424 -- Could not DevIoCtl::Write (BufSz/sizeof(Spt) = 3/44) drive "F:" -- Dispositivo non pronto. (21.)

...and so on... I'm trying MMC-Medic right now. Then I'll try Memory Card Unlockers and Hp Usb Disk storage format tools
April 15, 2012 5:03:03 PM

I tried Everything but nothing works... including low level format, mmc medic, unlocker, DDBAN... :( 
April 16, 2012 12:02:59 PM

Just for the future, this is what I found after intense googling hours:

- When used in Mobile Phones, if the phone blocks for ANY reason DON'T restart your phone---> it will put your microSD card in a "PROTECTED MODE" which prevent ANY write attempt. This will make your microSD unuseful on your mobile (it needs write permission to work). So, IN ANY CASE, don't restart your mobile!!!

- There won't be a way to unprotect and format it... it could be insane (you thing there SHOULD be some kind of way to bypass protection, but as I said, it is not).

I tried every kind of solution actually (April 2012) on Internet without any chance: write protection error will always be there.

I'm trying to apply for RMA in Verbatim. No one answered.
a b G Storage
April 16, 2012 12:08:55 PM

Can you paste a link to this article? I'm a former engineer for a company that makes mciroSD cards and I've never heard of this. The only thing close is early Windows7 phones, but it's not exactly this problem either.
Not discounting what you've found, but I've never heard of it and would like to read more on what you've found.
April 16, 2012 12:13:54 PM

Unfortunately I don't have that link anymore. You could try with Google. I'm truly sorry.

It was a simple deduction moved by the fact that many users experimented the same problem when their mobile phones blocked during some process and they restarted it, so, there was this Electrical Eng. that explained what I said before.

For your work, could be a chance contacting with Verbatim and ask them how write-protection mode becomes active.
a b G Storage
April 16, 2012 12:19:30 PM

As a former engineer for these devices, I'm very familiar with how write protection works. That's why I'm puzzled as to why a phone could induce such a state.

In my experience it is the card going into a write-protect state that causes the phone to error. Not the phone error causing the write-protect.
Essentially the card's controller goes into a write protect state when storage errors become too frequent or when the number of "good" cells becomes too low. This state is there to protect what data is there, so you the user has "something" instead of "nothing". (early days of flash, the controller wouldn't do this, and the user would be left with zero data - made photographers very angry :)  )

I have not done that job for 3yrs (I work on SSDs/RAID cards now), so I was wondering if there had been a change in the way things worked.
April 16, 2012 1:34:53 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the explication.

This user affirmed the the 2nd time he got the same error he just left the phone where it was and he hadn't the problem he had the 1st time.

Actually, I had 4gb over 8 free, and I started an intensive working mobile cleaning utility (like ccleaner for PC). The program got stucked so I (wrongly?) decided to soft restart mobile and that's how it happened to me.

a b G Storage
April 16, 2012 1:58:49 PM

Hmmm still seems kind of strange, but none the less these things do happen.
If you do come across the link again, please post. I've been googling without much luck.
The post was insightful none the less...
Hopefully Verbatim will give you an RMA without any hassle. Good luck. :) 
April 20, 2012 11:56:41 AM

I asked the owner for an invoice and he gave me. So I applied for a RMA in Verbatim.

In few days they accepted my Rma.

100+ for Verbatim and its professionality. :bounce: 
May 31, 2012 11:43:29 AM

The end of the story: they sent me a new microSD class4. (just got)

Positively impressed by Verbatim customer caring.

I'll be buying Verbatim stuff for a long time, guess.

:hello: 
Anonymous
November 2, 2013 10:37:14 PM

hi,

i just ask you a question. please tell me, if you not understand my question.

how removal write protection and restore system folder in micro-sd hc 8gb class 4 ?

thank for all.
!