Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recommendations for cooling PC

Last response: in Overclocking
January 25, 2013 11:18:48 AM

I have an HP PC with several internal HDD's which runs pretty hot.
The model is HPE-519C: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...

It runs at 44 degrees C all the time and in the summer upstairs in Texas it runs into the 50's and 60's C.

Without swapping the case what could I do?
I was thinking about cutting out a hole in the side and installing a 200mm fan. I figure glue some magnets to the four mounting areas of the fan and attach the fan to the metal case, then blow (in or out?). This might sound crazy but Im quite handy, and I really need to get this thing cooled down.

Any help would be appreciated as I've never dealt with this sort of issue before.
January 25, 2013 11:28:14 AM

If you're going to cut holes anyway, why use magnets instead of nuts and bolts?
Score
January 25, 2013 12:13:24 PM

I am of the opinion that it would be easier in every way. Gluing them on would take a couple of minutes and the fan would be instantly removable should I need to. Its just what I've worked out in my head, so I'm open to other thoughts to be sure.

I just absolutely need much better cooling before the Texas summer is upon me again.
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 12:30:40 PM

How about replacing the side wall with plexiglass? then you can cut a hole for the large fan.

My HDDs are inside and installed via side mount, and cooled by the front fan. Do you have a front fan?
Score
January 25, 2013 12:46:12 PM

Remove left side panel.
Score
January 25, 2013 12:59:30 PM

The removable metal panel is on the right side (as I look at the front of the PC) and that was what I was going to cut. I rarely have it on the case anyways.
I have no front fan, just a few pathetic louvers where air is drawn in by the action of the fan at the back of the case. My HDD's are all mounted to the front of the case.

So however/wherever I mount the large fan left side or right side, in plexiglass or the existing metal panel should the fan blow into or out of the case?
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 2:03:45 PM

Either side is fine, but do attach a dustfilter on the outside, and have the fan pull air into the case.
Make a similar cut on the opposite side, and attach a dustfilter here, this should help with your temp issues.
January 31, 2013 11:47:05 PM

Best answer selected by rocks911.
Score
!