Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I have a ati 4850 512 mb what should i upgrade to

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2010 3:21:18 AM

I have a dell xps 625 with a phenom 9850 cpu 2.5 ghz i curently have a 4850 gpu with 512 mb ram. I am loking to uprade my gpu to get better fps in cod waw, i currently get an average of 45 to 50, i play on a 1400x900 lg monitor.

More about : ati 4850 512 upgrade

a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:23:54 AM

um you wont notice any difference really. anything above 30 fps you cant really see the difference. If it is getting that, there is no point in upgrading. Especially considering there arent any huge upgrades you can do that wont cost 300 or so dollars.
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:30:15 AM

You dont have the fastest CPU there, so first make sure it is a GPU bottleneck because the 4850 can handle that resolution easily in most games. Turn down the detail levels, try to stick to those that would be limited by the GPU like texture level or resolution, and see if your FPS increase, if not then its a CPU bottleneck which is cheaper to fix.

There are only 9 GPUs that are above yours, the 5770/4870, 5830/4890, 5850/4850x2, 5870/4870x2, and 5970, the 5770 or 4870 likely wont give you a large performance increase so the next reasonable step would be a 4890 or 5830 which will both cost you around $200
Related resources
March 5, 2010 3:56:09 AM

You want to upgrade more then you need to. Save your money for now, and it out for a while
March 5, 2010 3:57:09 AM

hunter315 said:
You dont have the fastest CPU there, so first make sure it is a GPU bottleneck because the 4850 can handle that resolution easily in most games. Turn down the detail levels, try to stick to those that would be limited by the GPU like texture level or resolution, and see if your FPS increase, if not then its a CPU bottleneck which is cheaper to fix.

There are only 9 GPUs that are above yours, the 5770/4870, 5830/4890, 5850/4850x2, 5870/4870x2, and 5970, the 5770 or 4870 likely wont give you a large performance increase so the next reasonable step would be a 4890 or 5830 which will both cost you around $200

do you have a recomendation for a cpu i was thinking of going to a phenom II 940 i know that it will work in my mobo its a AM2+ also
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 4:00:38 AM

If a 940 will work in your board then it will be a fairly substantial upgrade, but first determine whether it is a CPU or GPU bottleneck so that you spend your money in the right spot. Im thinking it should be a CPU bottleneck but confirming is always good.
March 5, 2010 4:04:51 AM

hunter315 said:
If a 940 will work in your board then it will be a fairly substantial upgrade, but first determine whether it is a CPU or GPU bottleneck so that you spend your money in the right spot. Im thinking it should be a CPU bottleneck but confirming is always good.

Thanks for your help i will try your suggestion, is there a dual core that will work better? Or do you have a suggestion.
My mobo is an AM2+ socket and 125w

Best solution

a c 179 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 4:09:01 AM

Nope, unlike Intel the AMD quads are top of the line and the duals are broken off of them, the fastest AMD dual is the PII X2 550 is 100MHz faster which wont make a difference, the extra two cores of the PII 940 will make a more significant difference. If your board only supports AM2+ processor and no AM3 processors(which is likely considering its a dell) then the 940 is the absolute best that you can get and will do quite well.
March 5, 2010 4:27:43 AM

Best answer selected by headwear.
a c 127 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 4:30:04 AM

Use the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and monitor your CPU. For example, in a single-core system if your CPU was at 100% then you would need to upgrade the Graphics card. If the CPU was at 50% then a graphics card giving you about 2x the calculations would optimize your system (system RAM allowing).

It's more difficult in a multicore/thread system.

If NO CORES hit 100% then upgrading your CPU or overclocking it will provide NO benefit. How much benefit by upgrading the graphics card depends on how many cores/threads it can utilize. For example, a game may use two cores fully and a third at 25% and a fourth at 0%.

Another way to tell is to try several games. If your CPU is constantly hitting 100% on at least one core then you could benefit from an upgrade. But should you?

Here's my advice:
1) If needed, use FRAPs and tweak thinks like Shadows, AA, Bloom etc to get the best Performance-to-Visuals ratio. For example 8xAA provides little benefit over 4xAA. Experiment.

2) Keep your current system and save up for a new one. Consider going to the next generation of XBox and NOT upgrading your computer and use both systems. This depends partially on whether we see Keyboard/Mouse support for things like RTS games. I think we will. This would allow great graphics and we can forget about compatibility, tweaking, upgrading etc!

3) If you must upgrade, keep your system for now and wait until NVidia's Optimus comes to desktop. An Optimus motherboard could, for example, use an efficient onboard graphics chip using say 5Watts and then turn on three high-end graphics cards only when needed. Yes, they are 100% off when not needed.

Since Optimus laptops are here I'm hoping motherboards will be soon. Ideally the cards would be compatible at launch. My feeling is we'll likely see systems by Christmas, after all the software needed is the same as for the laptops and I see no downside. It would be a big plus for NVidia. What gamer wouldn't go this way? Price and idle power are all that's swaying me towards the red camp. Choose between idle power and gaming performance for graphics? Not any more..
!