Sign in with
Your question

Are 64bit cards that bad?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2010 3:28:41 AM

If I buy a 64bit card, will it perform like utter crap?

I only play CS:S/source games and BF2.

More about : 64bit cards bad

March 5, 2010 3:44:00 AM

What do you mean by 64bit card? If you are talking about the memory bandwidth of the card then yes it will be utter crap. It depends on the resolutions that you want to play at and the detail settings. Also for your CPU i would suggest a HD5750 or HD5770 (both 128-bit width but have DDR5 instead of DDR2 or 3) before it becomes a bottleneck for your system. If you are serious about gaming avoid any 64-bit wide cards.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 4:09:31 AM

No hardware is really "good" or "bad"; it depends on the intended use.

An HD5970 is "bad" if you only do business applications because it's noisy, expensive and provides no benefit to the software at all.

If you wish to upgrade, you should remember two things:

1) Your CPU will be the main bottleneck (an old X2-4800+ can't make use of likely more than an HD4770 in ANY game)

2) You should read reviews and look at benchmarks. Remember though, that new ones usually use an i7-920 overclocked so your system may not perform the same.

Provide your specs and maybe we can help. I gave you something to use as a rough reference but if your CPU is as good or better then an HD4770 might be a great choice for you.
m
l
March 5, 2010 4:14:35 AM

photonboy said:
No hardware is really "good" or "bad"; it depends on the intended use.

An HD5970 is "bad" if you only do business applications because it's noisy, expensive and provides no benefit to the software at all.

If you wish to upgrade, you should remember two things:

1) Your CPU will be the main bottleneck (an old X2-4800+ can't make use of likely more than an HD4770 in ANY game)

2) You should read reviews and look at benchmarks. Remember though, that new ones usually use an i7-920 overclocked so your system may not perform the same.

Provide your specs and maybe we can help. I gave you something to use as a rough reference but if your CPU is as good or better then an HD4770 might be a great choice for you.

"Hardware configuration" of a user : scarslilpyro

Athlon x2 64 3800+
MSI K9N6PGM-V2
2x1gig pc-6400 800mhz
2.5-7-5-7
200gb+500gb HDD
500 watt ultra PSU
19\" widescreen 16:10"

I just plan to run CS:S/BF2 and crysis (on minimum settings) right now.

Crysis is my entry level game at the moment, and so is GTA4.

GTA4 ran ok with my 2600XT - although it looked like complete crap.

I just want to finish both of those games with a crappy computer.

I will eventually get a decent system.

So I guess this thread is really solved as 64bit cards are not meant for gaming.
m
l
!