Sign in with
Your question

Kingston vs elixir ddr2

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2010 7:29:39 AM

Hello,

A discount internet supplier (based near me) sells Kingston and Elixir DDR memory (800mhz). I already have 2 sticks of the elixir.

I know elixir is often described as crap (while others say it's not) the prices are actually identical.

I'm about to upgrade to x64 bit OS, so should I buy 2 more sticks of the identical elixir or rip out the the lot, toss it and buy 4 sticks. It's a lot of money to sacrifice to do the latter ($118 for 2 sticks, double for 4).

I do want to OC my q6600 by a fairly hefty amount. I've tried overclocking my memory before and even the slightest change was unstable but then I had a horrible PSU and I now have a corsair TX 850w.

WHat should I do?

More about : kingston elixir ddr2

May 28, 2010 10:19:25 AM

Any memory is good, just have to learn how to change timings. I would go for another pair of elixirs.
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
May 28, 2010 3:22:23 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

I would go for the Kingston, have more experience in the market and are good quality.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2010 2:27:46 AM

Thanks.

Some people are now telling me that I shouldn't buy any additional memory even with Windows 7 x64bit as while that would let me use even more of the 4gb I have (all of it), it won't actually effectively use the whole 8gb (even if it can technically read it). That's not what I always thought but that was on techsupportforum.com (which for some reason I get a 'cannot display website' page for, for a few days now).

I ran Memtest all night and got no errors with the standard timing and voltage. 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v

What could I aim to set that to? Would 4-4-4-12 work? @ what voltage?

Since I've had this memory for at least 18m-2yrs now, I won't replace it if it isn't getting errors unless I was going to be forking out already for MORE memory.

Advice?
m
l
May 29, 2010 2:36:41 AM

with voltage, you want to keep it at what the ram states its ram voltage is set at. As for timings, I am still messing with that in my sytem myself.
m
l
!