NZXT Kraken X60 vs Corsair H110 vs Noctua NH-D14 ???

PeterSamoilov

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hi there,
I am building a system and these are the specs of my system:
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor
Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE
Fractal Design Define R4
other components are irrelevant.
I don't know what cooler should I put there. My options are:
NZXT Kraken X60
Corsair H110
Noctua NH-D14
What is better? in terms of cooling? in terms of noise? (I think that anyway to replace the original fans from X60 and H110 to Noctua fans - they are better and quieter)
Will the Define R4 will fit the both X60 and H110? I read that there are differences between top mounts (15 mm and 20 mm).
So what should i get?

Solution
On fractal design's website it states-
"2 Top 120/140mm fans - positions also support some models of 240 radiators, depending on configuration"

240 radiotors are like the H100 which support 2x120mm fans. The H110 on the other hand is for 2x140mm (NZXT Kraken X60 aswell).

It also says "some models of 240 radiators" so all may not fit.
So odds are that 2x140mm Radiators may fit aswell. It may fit because the case does have 140mm fan mounts on the top. But clearance from the radiators and the motherboard VRM heatinks also may be an issue.

So rule out 2x140mm water coolers. So you are left with ones like the H100i. But High End Air coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 do perform almost the same if not better than prebuilt watercoolers.

Also...

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
On fractal design's website it states-
"2 Top 120/140mm fans - positions also support some models of 240 radiators, depending on configuration"

240 radiotors are like the H100 which support 2x120mm fans. The H110 on the other hand is for 2x140mm (NZXT Kraken X60 aswell).

It also says "some models of 240 radiators" so all may not fit.
So odds are that 2x140mm Radiators may fit aswell. It may fit because the case does have 140mm fan mounts on the top. But clearance from the radiators and the motherboard VRM heatinks also may be an issue.

So rule out 2x140mm water coolers. So you are left with ones like the H100i. But High End Air coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 do perform almost the same if not better than prebuilt watercoolers.

Also Noctua products are dead silent... You can even hear them at full rpm and they have very good airflow aswell.
If i were you i would go for the Noctua NH-D14 over the other prebuilt watercoolers.

The NH-D14 is quieter for 2 reasons:
1. The fans are superior quality
2. There is no pump(which is present in water coolers that produces noise aswell, especially at high speeds)

Many people, including me say the "if you go for water cooling, go for custom ones as they are the best."
But custom loops tend to be on the pricey side.

In the end go for the Noctua NH-D14

Solution
Go for the Noctua, it will perform the same as those Closed Loop water coolers at a much lower cost, and most likely quieter as well.

If you want water, gotta go fully custom. Which isnt as expensive as you would think, quality WC kits can be had for not much more than a H100i.

I agree with monofchalk and would like to add an additional cooling option for your consideration.

As far as big air, here's another consideration, I've seen documented tests with it out performing the Noctua.

As far as any big air cooler like the Noctua or the Phantek, setting the heat pipes with any falling in the dead air space airflow area which is directly behind the fan motor housing is going to limit its cooling.

Both Noctua and Phantek could have improved their cooling performance by simply Y-ing the heat pipes to avoid the dead air space behind the fan motors, but they chose not to.

Any one here with enough intelligence should plainly see the maximum benefits of cooling performance is to avoid the dead air space, in the construction of any cooling solution.

That's the reason fan shrouds were invented to overcome this problem.

The FRIO OCKs heat pipes are all oriented in the clear fan airflow path.

I did not cover dead air space effects on heat pipe coolers in the Cooling Fan Roundup in my sig, but did play around with the projected effects of how far from the fan motor body the dead air space exists.

Anyone attempting to discount it's effect should by all means try blowing through a fan motor body. :lol:

What did Forest Gump say, "Stupid is as stupid does.", meaning logical intelligence should be obvious enough.

If Thermaltake had gone one step further in their design and staggered the heat pipes in the cooling field it would probably be the all time big air cooling winner, and maybe in the future they will.

Of course any of the high end air coolers performance can be improved with enough air flow by changing out the cooling fans to higher cfm fans, but can you stay in the same room as the computer with the increased noise levels.

Bottom line ultimately the decision is yours.

SkyWalker1726

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
i would go for the Closed WC kits ( H110 Specially ) , i have the H100 , my friend has the D14 , and my rig doesn't seem louder than his @ all ...
the D14 will take lots of space in ur case , and even replacing a single Ram Module will require u to remove the Heatsink first . if ur worried about the lack of quality in corsairs
fan , u can alway s change them with a model u prefer ( Enermax , Cougar or whatever u like ) .
and i wouldn't like putting the weight of such a Heatsink on a 250$ board and CPU Socket .

"Cooling"wise ,( H100 and D14 ) they both perform The same ( did tests with both of them , so the H110 should be better t ... )

BIG heatsinks seems outdated to me , their era is gone ( aaahh the BigTyphon , GooD old Days ... ) , Closed WC kit are replacing them , and i think that its way to go ;) ...

PS : the Frio isn;t comparable to the other one you mentioned , Noisy like hell , and not as efficient as neither the D14 nor the H110 :)

That's a good point!

It does seem they're more into copying someone else's work!

Do you think they might have learned that in school, looking over each others shoulders?

Look how close the heat sink designs actually are.

Maybe they need to check into my cooling thread so they can learn what not to do!

Seeing as how I put it there for those interested, they won't even have to steal it.

Then they can come up with a below ambient cooling solution compact and easy to use all they'll have to do is improve the design and then they'll have a product that actually works, performance wise better than anything they presently have! :)

Hey maybe you should write them an email! :lol:

onlydave

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

I tried pretty hard to get a H110 into an R4. No joy. In the front the plastic clip in case for the fans makes it impossible to get it in as the fan spacing is completely wrong. In the top its pretty close with the screw holes, probably require some gentle modding but the biggest problem is on most mobos the CPU fan header will be in the way. MAYBE if you put some holes right right up by the door of the case in the top maybe you could make it fit but you'd also have to drill out more air holes and bottom line I'm just gonna go get a h100i because that definitely fits pretty easy (see youtube... http://youtu.be/vwgVA6_xIis?t=21m37s)

PeterSamoilov

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I am sorry to hear that!
Have you tried (or maybe you know) if the NZXT Kraken X60 will fit?
As far as i know there is a difference between the distance of the holes in the middle on the radiator. One of them is 15mm and the other is 20mm. Correct me if I am wrong.

FransFromNL

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Peter,

i just installed a H110 in a Fractal Define R4 case. These are my experiences during: first I tried to install the H110 in the top of the case. There it did not fit, not even close. F.e.: the back case fan was in the way grossly. Then I tried the front. That fits. But you need to do the following: drill some xtra holes in the Fractal plastic holder for the fans, to match the spacimg between the holes on the radiator. Then remove the middle hard disk rack from the case. Remove the platic guidance which is beneath the upper rack and move the lower rach about 5 cm's to the back of the case. You can do this using the available holes for the extra fan position in the bottom. Then nring the Define fan holderminto position from the front. Bring the radiator in from the inside of the case and screw the radiator and the fan / fan holder together. The radiator hoses are long enough to get to the CPU, but there's not a lot of margin. The two PWM cables coming from the fans are to short to attach to the mother board, you will have to by and install extension cables for that. I ordered mine and am awaiting delivery beore i can fire up my new pc with the H110. Fi: my motherboard is a ASRock <forget the name / maximus or something> 4.
Regards.
FransFromNL.

PeterSamoilov

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

That seems rather complicated.
I will wait until there will be something that fits perfectly to the Fractal R4

phx08

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I say go with an convection cooling rather than a closed loop water cooler just because i've heard horror stories about closed loop coolers having nasty spills in the past. Again, this industry is a lot about perception and even if the data, possibly, doesn't support high failure rate the fact that it does happen is enough to change consumer sentiment towards a product.

With that said a higher up direct convection cooler will do a VERY nice job even at modest overclocks.

PeterSamoilov

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, There is a great chance i will stick with the NH-D14. I've read on all the forums that this is simply the best cooler.