Can I replace mobo without having to reinstall windows etc.?

rdmpe

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I had an ASUS P5B die on me recently (specs = http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YwIVDOTcvIMHZdTy&content=specifications )

I'm wondering if I can replace the mainboard and get the computer running without having to reformat and completely reload windows and all of the other software. I don't know if it will be possible to find another board with the same intel chipset, let alone another exact P5B.

Anyone ever do this successfully?

You can find another board similar to the p5b. Check craigslist, anandtech's for sale forum, or ebay for the same chipset. I just changed boards the other day with windows 7; the boards both had the h55 chipset and it only took one reboot for the drivers to install.

I was able to do this going from an old socket 754 amd MOBO to an AM3 MOBO (so new CPU, RAM, MOBO, video card (old system was an nvidia 7800GS new system ATI 5770) and completely different chipsets etc.) using an OEM version of VISTA. All that I had to do was build the new system put in the old HDD and run a REPAIR install from the OEM VISTA disk (The repair install reexamines the system and removes\reinstalls all of the system drivers based on the examination it does of the system just like it would do if installing VISTA for the first time) - then afterwards once into window go into the device manager and check for any incorrect or missing devices and install the drivers for them as needed (IIRC the only thing it missed on my system was the sound card drivers and I had to change a few of the shortcuts since I had also installed a secondary HDD in the new system so the drive letter assignments changed on one of the HDD partitions - ( so best to keep the HDD arrangement the same for the initial repair install and then add the new HDD afterwards if doing that !))

So yes it can be done however it is not always successful so be sure to be prepared to do a reinstall from scratch if needed by backing everything essential up before attempting. ---- Also doing this will cause the windows install to no longer be activated so you will have to reactivate it using the activation process ( I did this using the phone activation process and just had to enter the key to the automated operator and then enter the code that was given to me in the activation window and all went fine - but be sure you have the key code written down