Help !!! A horizontal line in my laptop screen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 2, 2004 3:28:50 AM

Dear All,

I am totally new to this group. I've been enjoying with my Sony Vaio
(PGX F880)laptop for the past 3years with Win 2000 / Solaris 8 .

Last week when i was working in my laptop, suddenly it draws a
horizontal line from left to right (or other way too!) . I rebooted,
but still i can able to see the line in BIOS screen also.

Before going to be Sony Support, I thought I can throw my query to
this group. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?. Do i need
to take any first aid?? Did any faced such a issue? Pls. share your
suggestions /ideas /experience.

Regards
Grp
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 2, 2004 12:34:00 PM

"singpguy" <singpguy@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> I am totally new to this group. I've been enjoying with my Sony Vaio
> (PGX F880)laptop for the past 3years with Win 2000 / Solaris 8 .
>
> Last week when i was working in my laptop, suddenly it draws a
> horizontal line from left to right (or other way too!) . I rebooted,
> but still i can able to see the line in BIOS screen also.
>
> Before going to be Sony Support, I thought I can throw my query to
> this group. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?. Do i need
> to take any first aid?? Did any faced such a issue? Pls. share your
> suggestions /ideas /experience.
>
> Regards
> Grp

It might be a loose connector for that grid, but that's remote; the
screen connector block on laptops is very tight. It is probably a
failure in the screen itself. You could open the case and check the
mainboard connection; you might get lucky; I would contact Sony support.
Good luck with that if it is not under warranty. Sony typically (from
reports) quotes a very high price for an LCD replacement out of
warranty.

September 2, 2004 2:00:47 PM

This is typicall a problem with the LCD itself. Not the inverter or
ribbon cable. A few companies including ours do LCD repair. Something
you might consider if it is a more expensive LCD.
!