pk18

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hi, recently I asked if a SSD (by itself) with enough space would be ok to use on my next system. My answer was yes its ok, as long as I have at least 15% breathing space.
But I need to ask 2 more quick questions before I spend 600-700 on this: First, I decided to get a Crucial 512GB to start out with, then down the line, add another one of 512GB.

1. Will one of these be enough to start for now, as far as storage for the operating system along with computer use and a very small amount of documents?

2. And finally when I get the second 512GB, as far as storage, (not speed, lol) will this be just as equal or close as a 1TB hard drive? I think it is but I don't want to take any chances, since I'm still pretty green at this.. Thx.

If you're not going to fill it with a ton of media/games, 256gb should be more than enough. SSDs are too expensive to be going 512gb lightly. How much data do you have on your current machine?

And on the second question, to be still clearer:
1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes
1 terabyte = 1 trillion bytes
1tb = 1000gb

pk18

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
That's exactly what I thought, approx. 1TB. not that I can't add, (lol) its just that I never heard anybody using a SSD entirely alone and also was not sure if its figured differently as to the amount of storage as opposed to a regular hard drive.

Right now I have a regular 1TB hard drive with 877GB Free Space and 53.9 Used Space. And so far I only plan to store pictures at the most part. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and I love to fix old pics and along that line.
I don't think I'll be using anything more than 512GB because I had this old HP with only a 400GB hard drive and it was plenty of space, back then.