lepraconmcpot

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I have a Compaq Presario cq62 that had Windows 7 installed on it. I don't care much for 7 so I nuked, but now because I want to put Windows XP 32-bit on it, I am unable to install it.

From what I can tell the problem is that XP won't read the drive because it doesn't have the SATA drives. I've found places that tell me to use nLite to make a bootable iso of my Windows XP install disc and have nLite 'slipstream' the drivers into the install disc, but it hasn't worked.

Can anyone help? Either I need to find the correct drivers or it could be something else. It's in good condition and nothing is physically wrong with the machine, all hardware is working fine.

Compaq Presario CQ62
Model #: WQ778UAH#ABA
Windows 7 Originally installed, drive is now formatted
Not exactly sure on the specs, but I believe it's 2.2 GHz CPU and 2 gigs DDR3 ram

Try the IDE Mode BIOS setting to detect the Hard Drive. As you turn the computer on and the BIOS post starts, press Delete repeatedly to access the BIOS, Look for the IDE Mode setting (could also be named IDE Native or IDE Legacy)... Enable this Setting to make the BIOS recognize SATA drives as IDE without installed drivers... This should take care of the detection problem.

You can install the drivers later from Windows XP with the application SlimDrivers for automatic search, download and installation... and in case no drivers are found, you can leave it in IDE Mode indefinetly barely noticing the difference, depending on the kind of use you subject the computer to. If you install SlimDrivers, uninstall it when you no longer need it, or otherwise configure it to not auto-start, auto-update or auto-scan.