I got a problem with my pc. Im confused.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I need some help from you guys about my PC. I have troubles turning my computer on. It started about 3 weeks ago. The CPU, VGA, Fans Etc are all running but it doesn't give a signal to my monitor. I need to shut it off/turn it on for 2 or 10+ tries before it gives a signal/beep. After that I see an error message saying "The overclocking has failed from the previous attempt. Do you want to reload the default bios configuration? (Y/N) " something and it goes well again. I never did something about overclocking on my computer and now I am wondering why is that? It happens to me everyday. Sometimes I'm prompted with a CMOS checksum error/bad. I already changed the CMOS Battery but the problem is still there.

What do you think guys? I already tried trouble shooting everything from the CPU, RAM and VGA. Do I need to change my PSU?

BTW this is my specs:
Intel C2D E7300
2X1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2
ATI Sapphire HD4830 512mb DDR3
XFX XG31i Mobo

Any help and suggestions will me appreciated. Thank you

PS: sorry for my grammar

I've seen that message before so what i did is pressed my onboard cmos switch.
No problems after that i just had to do some minor bios resets(xmp) and everthings been fine since.

If that doesn't nip it run a MemTest+ you may have a bad stick.

Hope this helps!

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Thanks Davcon,

I have been resetting the cmos by means of battery removing/jumper but I still have problems switching my computer on.

Done with the memtest and reached 100% coverage and there was none single error on my stick.

I am starting to suspect that my PSU has to do with this, maybe it doesn't give enough power anymore. Not sure though just wanted to make sure before I buy a new one.

Again thanks Dav

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

thank you User18!

About the default configuration, I always does that everyday :lol:

Yes! it cleared the CMOS, but after saving the settings in BIOS the problem goes back again. Another 10+ tries to get my computer to boot. I keep on doing that everyday and already pisses me off. I will try to get a new PSU next week if the problem doesn't resolved here. :cry:

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

I hate to say this but I am currently using a Generic one. I was planning on buying a HEC Raptor 500W or a Thermaltake Litepower 600W.

I hope someone out there can help me with this. :cry:

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
with a generic psu and running an ati 4830, u r quite lucky that your pc is still working. i think this might be the problem here. if you have a smaller/weaker vga to test, that will tell you for sure if the problem is with the psu or not. hope i helped.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Thanks lordzone,

LOL luckily this generic (500w) psu is almost 2 years now, running about 12 - 16 hrs/ day. All of my hardware are stock except for the additional two 120mm fans. I already sold my weaker VGA (ATI HD 3650) so I don't have anything to test for now.

thanks for dropping by.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Thanks PJ,

hopefully next week, I will buy a new one. I prefer a cheap but great performance PSU (I'm on a very tight budget) and hopes my pc gets back to normal. Appreciated the reply PJ!

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Update: I can hear a one click ("tsk") sound and the computer just freezes/pause and returns to normal again. Any idea what hardware is making that sound? It happens to me every few minutes/hours.

Update: I can hear a one click ("tsk" ) sound and the computer just freezes/pause and returns to normal again. Any idea what hardware is making that sound? It happens to me every few minutes/hours.

That sounds as if it is the hard drive doing that. But I wouldn’t worry about it until you change the PSU. You can always download and run the hard drives manufacturer diagnostic software.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Again thanks PJ. What do you think of my posted PSU brands. Its quite difficult to find good brands in our location and those two are my best pick. Can you advice a better PSU brand in the price ($55 - $60) same as those? I was also planning on getting an OCZ StealthXStream 500 Watts ($66) but its quite difficult to find it here. I heard a lot of good things about this one.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
UPDATE: I just bought a new PSU (Thermaltake Litepower 500W) and WTF!!! the problem is still there. I am still having some troubles booting my computer. I'm starting to suspect that my mofo mobo is the one responsible for this. Should I get a 1 gallon of kerosene with a match and burn this mofo system down? LOL I'm really pissed off. =(

Another update: Why does my mice keeps blinking every time my computer won't boot?

It does indeed look like the motherboard is faulty, unlucky. You could try the computer with only one stick of memory one at a time to see if the memory is responsible even though it has passed the memory tests.

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Could this be a CPU issue?

When you say that your mouse is blinking, do you mean that the laser is flashing on and off, or something else?

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Yes, its flashing on and off. That is when my computer is not booting.

So it means I have to replace my CPU? my gawd! :ouch: Thanks anyway, I will also try to run it with a single stick.

Thanks user18 and PJM...

user 18

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Is this under load or at idle? These look a bit high for idle temps, but are more reasonable for load. My Athlon II x4 620 barely gets to 50 after several hours of full load (video rendering) with stock cooling - no overclock. Of course, your CPU is a bit older.

I have never used Everest, I use speedfan to monitor temps.

Your CPU is probably fine, just throwing another idea out there. Have you checked all of the connections between your PSU and components? If it boots only sometimes, there may be a loose connection.

Do circumstances affect whether or not it boots? (i.e. will it not boot in the middle of the day)

One more thing - have you tried updating BIOS? That might solve this, although I doubt it.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

I'm currently doing some basic operations while checking on the temps (Firefox, WMP, 4 excel spreadsheets) so there's nothing heavy. My CPU has its stock fan, no OC and everything. My PSU connections are good and no loose connections I checked it 100 times already :D

Do circumstances affect whether or not it boots? (i.e. will it not boot in the middle of the day)
No, it doesn't have that circumstances. The problem is there the whole day.

For the BIOS update, I wish I could but I am afraid it may get corrupted.

jadrexmorgan

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
UPDATE: Tried swapping the RAM Sticks and tried using one stick at a time in different slots. Nothing happened the problem is still there. LOL

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
i dont know if it will make a difference but try shorting the power pins, on which u connect the casing wires inorder to press the power button on the casing. that way maybe your casing's power button is not working correctly. if that doesnt work then i think it might be your motherboard that is faulty. hope i helped