Your question

Pits in cpu?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 10:31:42 PM

OK,

first, insert ROAR here...

I went and upgraded my cpu to a fx6300, just a month ago. I put it together, using my 212 evo from last build. I was checking my tim application. as some were recommending using the 2 line method, for the 212 evo, over the dot method. I took hsf off, and there is a sweet ass pit(pardon my language), on the cpu. also there is a pit on my hsf now as well. what the hell happened! a piece of dirt, get in there cause this? is that even possible? the dirt yes, the getting so hot it makes a pit?

I happened to have some 2000 grit sand paper. I lapped the cpu and hsf a bit, to knock down the bumps. I applied the tim in the two line method...and wouldnt ya know it, i dropped 8 degrees off my temps!

So is this going to be ok? or should i return the cpu...as i have a couple of days left! I am debating on exchanging the cpu and MB for a intel set up!?

More about : pits cpu

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 11:01:54 AM

You will find that lapping it has voided your warranty,
pics would have been nice to show the pitting but thats past the fact now.
Moto
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 224 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 1:54:24 PM

Mt Power said:
So is this going to be ok? or should i return the cpu...as i have a couple of days left! I am debating on exchanging the cpu and MB for a intel set up!?

Is this a Joke? :lol: 

If you lapped the CPU your warranty is gone!

As Moto has already said!

You lapped a brand new CPU, where did you get the idea that would be OK?

The best thing to do is continue the path you're already on, as you've already completely burnt the bridges behind you.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 2:21:25 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Is this a Joke? :lol: 

If you lapped the CPU your warranty is gone!

As Moto has already said!

You lapped a brand new CPU, where did you get the idea that would be OK?

The best thing to do is continue the path you're already on, as you've already completely burnt the bridges behind you.

heh, no its not a joke!! I only did it a couple of times. it didnt seem to phase it at all, i.e. the writing is still there, no scratch marks, and the pit is still slightly visible...

honestly it seems to be running fine, i may just stick with it! or i may just get another one , as i only paid $100 or so for it.

as for my actual question, is it possible that a piece of dirt did this? what could get so hot that it burnt a whole in both the cpu and the hsf?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 2:30:20 PM

i want pictures =]
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 224 K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 2:41:12 PM

Mt Power said:
is it possible that a piece of dirt did this? what could get so hot that it burnt a whole in both the cpu and the hsf?

Sure it is.

When you Lapp a surface you have to keep it clean I like to use a vacuum and keep the residue from the paper in the cutting phase, and yes that means I Lapp with dry paper not wet.

Reason being once you have arrived at the point the cutting phase is completed, and you are satisfied with the flatness, then you continue lapping and leave the residue in place for a metal to metal polishing, by then the residue itself is micro particulate size and begins to polish the surface.

With the EVO you have to be careful how far you actually go.

Pictures would help in understanding what you're even talking about regarding a pit?

Pit as in something a grain of sand could imprint?

Or pit as in the entire surface is cupped?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 2:52:38 PM

Ok, I didnt just start lapping the cpu. I removed my hsf to test some tim application methods(as i was using the dot method.)

the "pit" was there when i removed the hsf. The pit, is a single grain size pit. I lapped it on 2000 grit sand paper, with water on it. I only did it enough, to knock the bump down. as i was saying, there are no scratches or marks, do to me lapping it. ( i will get a pic once i get off of here and gut it...again...)

I was using the pea sized (tim) method, as i felt this would lessen the chance of this happening(dirt getting in it.) lessons are being learned!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2013 9:16:49 PM

Ok problem solved!! microcenter is the best!

I took cpu and MB back. explained what had happened, they exchanged both. now i have a i5, and a sabertooth z77.

took extra care when assembling ;)  colorado is a dusty place, lesson learned!

I did get e pic of the pit on the fx6300, I will post it later.
m
l
!