Sign in with
Your question

Volume Information Folder

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2012 11:10:38 PM

HELP!!! How do you move a VERY LARGE (145 gig) folder which I accidentally dropped into the system volume information back into the regular part of the 640g portable hard drive?

I don't even know how it got into the System Volume Information folder but I've tried (i) pulling it back out but it does not go; (ii) sending it to the part of the hard drive I want it to go to but it says that it is too large for the drive which is confusing me as it is the same hard drive and I didn't think I was adding anything to it when I moved it, (iii) copying it into another hard drive and then tried to delete it so I could copy it back but it just won't delete. Yet I can update files in the VERY LARGE folder that accidentally got pulled into the System Volume Information folder.

What's weird it that the Volume Information Folder is like a Ghost Folder and is slightly grayed out. How did I manage to get that VERY LARGE (145 gig) folder into it??

I'd be grateful for any advice.
Debbie Moon
April 16, 2012 12:43:17 AM

I'm assuming you're on Windows 7, here are the steps:

1) Right click System Volume Information folder > Properties > Security
2) Edit > Add > Advanced > Find Now
3) Find your current account on the bottom list (it looks something like Username - computername-PC) and press OK twice
4) Select the newly added account > Check 'Allow' in Full control row and confirm with OK twice

The steps should be fairly similar on other versions of Windows.

Also, after you're done retrieving your folder, it's recommended to revert the changes.
!