Can't see files on almost full SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I have a friend whose SD card in her digital camera was infected with viruses from connecting the camera to a seriously infected laptop, and she wanted to retrieve pictures she had on the card.

I connected the camera to a clean laptop, scanned the card with Eset NOD32 which said it cleaned all infected objects found, and on rescanning the card for safety it found 2 more threats it could not clean. I booted the system in Windows safe mode, scanned the card there and the threats were removed, rebooted normally and again scanned the card for safety, and it came up clean.

The problem is that on actually accessing the card's contents now, it comes up blank, even though the card's properties say that there are 900mb occupied on it. The same thing happens if I plug the SD card directly into the laptop's SD card slot. On the other hand, the camera's preview option can see the pictures on the card. What's more, when connecting the camera to the laptop and trying to import the pictures from the AutoPlay popup, it says "no new pictures were found on this device" and stops.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong with the card, or any suggestions about what I could try to solve this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I eventually figured it out, there was a virus on the card that had made itself and the image folders invisible, that somehow wasn't picked up by Nod32. As simple as it was it took me a while to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS