Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?

I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...

Marco
10 answers Last reply
More about does notebook slot exist

    "Marco Palma" <venezia@sunstone.it> wrote in message

    > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    >
    > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...

    Yes, however they are not consumer units, and
    therefore not easy to find and quite expensive.

    Check Dolch, Getac and Itronix.

    dk

    Marco Palma wrote:

    > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    >
    > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...

    Do you mean a full-size desktop-type PCI slot?

    If so, no.

    Notan

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 02:41:56 -0400, Notan wrote
    (in article <4136C107.9B3BAA51@ddress.com>):

    > Subject: Re: Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    > From: Notan <notan@ddress.com>
    > Date: Today 2:41 AM
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    >
    > Marco Palma wrote:
    >>
    >> Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    >>
    >> I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...
    >
    > Do you mean a full-size desktop-type PCI slot?
    >
    > If so, no.
    >
    > Notan

    Although I do think some brands offer this as an option with their advanced
    port replicators.

    Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message news:<4136C107.9B3BAA51@ddress.com>...
    > Marco Palma wrote:
    > >
    > > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    > >
    > > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...
    >
    > Do you mean a full-size desktop-type PCI slot?
    >
    > If so, no.
    >
    > Notan

    No, I need of a HALF-SIZE pci slot...

    Marco

    Marco Palma wrote:

    > Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message news:<4136C107.9B3BAA51@ddress.com>...
    > > Marco Palma wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    > > >
    > > > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...
    > >
    > > Do you mean a full-size desktop-type PCI slot?
    > >
    > > If so, no.
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > No, I need of a HALF-SIZE pci slot...

    Do you mean a half-size SLOT or half-size (half-length) BOARD?

    As Dan pointed out, the ones that are available aren't your
    average find-them-at-CompUSA variety.

    What type of laptop do you have, and exactly what are you
    trying to do?

    Notan

    The D-Dock docking station for the Dell Latitude (and Inspiron 600m) series
    and the docking station for the IBM T40 series and X31 both take half-length
    PCI cards. Be sure to get the docking station and not the port replicator.

    "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Marco Palma" <venezia@sunstone.it> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    > >
    > > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...
    > >

    > Yes, however they are not consumer units, and
    > therefore not easy to find and quite expensive.
    >
    > Check Dolch, Getac and Itronix.
    >

    > dk

    Well, I seem to recall that IBM offers a docking station for thinkpads which
    accepts pci cards; you could only use the card while the laptop was docked
    that way.

    "Marco Palma" <venezia@sunstone.it> wrote in message
    > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    >
    > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...
    >
    > Marco

    also,

    PCMICA to PCI adapter system:
    http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/1slot/

    Older notebooks made by Dell had a docking station with PCI slots:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1032551

    Chip Orange wrote:

    > Well, I seem to recall that IBM offers a docking station for thinkpads which
    > accepts pci cards; you could only use the card while the laptop was docked
    > that way.

    I think they call that "a desktop!" <g>

    Notan

    "Marco Palma" <venezia@sunstone.it> wrote in message
    > Does any notebook with PCI slot exist?
    >
    > I have to use a PCI board not available in other formats...

    There are PCMCIA PCI extender cards/boxes.

    See for instance http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/

    dk

Laptops PCI Notebooks