Sign in with
Your question

Aftermarket cooler, temps too high

Last response: in CPUs
May 28, 2010 1:32:39 PM

Yesterday I installed COOLER MASTER n520 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <-- specs and look the same, mine just maybe newer version " on my box it says AM3) on my evo ASUS M4A79XTD EVO + Phenom II 965. and I have temperatures 1-2c worse then stock cooler.

~42-45C idle
~58-61C load

I saw on the reviews other idle at ~30C and load at ~45C.

Hmm, can it by because I applyied to much termal grease? (I tried to make it as thin as possible).

First I messed up and installed it wrong direction (hehe) the airflow was to the dvd'drives. (i thought that was the reason for high temps) so I reinstalled it so that air would go through the back of the case (and through case'es fan). still temps kinda high..

case ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

wiring pretty much perfect, no mess, no cross cables over MB except for one case's fan
a c 106 à CPUs
May 28, 2010 2:18:52 PM

You only need a tiny amount of paste, its a fair cooler and should do the job. Other things to take into account is the surrounding air temp of the room and air flow within the case.
m
l
May 28, 2010 5:40:56 PM

I'm sorry I should have been more specific.

Is it possible that due to thermal compound layer width (or being uneven) would increase temperatures by 5-10C? I understand 1-2C..

and I understand that thermal compoound needs to break in, so it should decrease by 1-2C overtime.

I know its not an exact science, but does anyone know approximately how much temperature depends on thermal layer? (i screwed in heat sink tightly, so it should have spreaded evently)
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2010 6:09:34 PM

It would really help to know what the ambient temperature is in your room. As for thermal compound settling, not all of them need to settle before operating at normal peformance. Arctic Silver 5 is one that does. Is that what you used?
m
l
May 28, 2010 6:18:14 PM

"Arctic Sliver: Ceramique High Density, Ceramic Based Thermal Compound"

room temperature 70-85F, air circulation inside is good, no messy wires

err, gonna disassemble today everything (again), and try the correct way to spread, pea size in the center, and put cooler on top.

p.s. cleaning is a b***ch
m
l
May 29, 2010 12:08:11 AM

There is a possibility that the bottom of your heatsink is not 100% flat and therefore does not sit properly on your cpu. When you look at the bottom of your heatsink and your cpu you will be able to see, due to indentation prints left in the thermal compound, how where the contact was being made. If the compound is only partially displaced, you can assume that a) it wasn't secured properly or b) you have an uneven heatsink that needs to be RMAd.
m
l
May 29, 2010 2:45:31 AM

after cleaning everything, and applying pea method (that I failed a little, because compound was very sticky w/e) its a little better, with prime95 on heat testing so far (after half an hour) I'm at 59C, and was 44C idle.

just checked before posting, 60C

eh I guess I'll have to wait till break in hope for 2-3down, and live with it :) 
m
l
!